Help with a very plain, boring living room

Discussion in 'Interior Design' started by mochigirl, Sep 11, 2008.

1. mochigirl

mochigirl New Seed

Hi everyone!

How can I make our living room more "homey"?
    Right now, the living room is very plain and boring.

We live in an apartment so we can't do as much.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I wanted to add some plants but we don't have windows in the living room/dining room/kitchen.

The couch is in a very unappealing color but it'll have to do for now.

any inputs, advice, some tips ... anything will be great!! :-D

2. Loading...

3. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

My first thought was "More pictures on the walls", and then "A nice rug or two on the floor". If you like, you could add some light-coloured pillows, like the lamp shade's colour, in your sofas to brighten them up a bit.

4. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

The picture you have is way too high. They are suppose to be hung at eye level. But I agree with Droopy, more pictures, perhaps some greenery in plants. Hope this helps.

5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

How about some colourful throws for the furniture in a colour that you like? You could also get a tablecloth for the table to match in with the throws.
    If you don't have windows then you could always try putting up posters. You don't need to put holes in the walls as there are now products that you can spray on the back of posters that won't damage the wall surfaces and that allow you to peel them off easily should you want to change or remove them. Any art shop should be able to advise you.
    Rugs (as already suggested) would also brighten things up and a few ornaments in brght colours would maybe help.

Advertisement
  6. mochigirl

mochigirl New Seed

Wow thanks everyone! I didn't expect a reply right away.

I already noted your tips! I'm very new at this and I have no idea whatsoever as to how to decorate or make things pretty.

What colors do you think would compliment our burgundy couches?

I also want to add some plants around the house and the bathrooms. But I don't know hat to get. What kind of plants would you suggest that can survive under very low light?

There's so many things we still need. By the way we just got married a few months ago! :D

7. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Congratulations on your marriage. I think one of the easiest plants to grow is the Aspidistra.

8. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Conratulations on your recent marriage mochigirl!! [​IMG]

You could also try having a peace lily or a jade plant in your apartment.

9. SusieQ

SusieQ Seedling

Lower picture yes, but no so low that someone sitting on the couch can put their head back onto the picture or frame, and perky plaid or printed placemat's with one color similar to furniture on the table would brighten up that plain table. A plant between couch and table to visually separate the two spaces, good idea! P.S. If you can find a nice sconce for either side of picture to enlarge arrangement would be good also.

10. songlim18

songlim18 Seedling

11. tonya27

tonya27 New Seed

I agree with everyone here. Some more art work around the room and I would suggest varying the size of the art to make it look more interesting. I like the idea of some pillows or throws to add a bit of color and brightness. If you need help deciding on the color of the pillows, etc I would suggest finding some art work you like first that matches the room, and then pull colors out from it.
    Also, if you're worried about plants, you can get some fake ones. There are lots available now that look pretty real and it saves you from having a dying plant on your hands lol. I would also like to see some more levels in this room. Right now, everything draws your eye down to one level. Adding in maybe a tall floor lamp or a tall plant would help break it up. Art work could also help with this. I hope this helps and congrats on the wedding!

12. CritterPainter

CritterPainter Awed by Nature

A round area rug with burgundy in it would warm up and visually separate the dining space nicely. Pick an accent color you like from the rug & get a throw in that color to toss over the sofa, toss around a few accent pillows chosen the same way. Basically, you need an "inspiration" piece with a few different colors in it to use as a starting place for homey accessories; you could start with your newly-lowered (lol!) picture as well. It has some great colors going on.
    O, and congratulations!

13. arv

arv Seedling

A little bit of this and that , photoshopped for more clarity

[​IMG]

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

You could really use some molding as a starter.

15. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

Smithwick,molding would be nice, but they live in an apartment and can't do things like that.

As far as colors, it's a good thing not to have the colors match, but cordinate instead.

16. chio88

chio88 New Seed

Hi mochigirl, Congratulations and best wishes on your recent wedding. We have the exact same dilemma--our small living room looks so bare. Thanks for all the sound ideas here. Putting up some art works at the walls made a big difference. :-D