Help with outdoor wall lighting

Discussion in 'Interior Design' started by golf_girl, Apr 1, 2010.

1. golf_girl

golf_girl New Seed

How do I know what size to order? Is there a rule of thumb for how big the exterior wall fixtures should be?

2. Loading...

3. ecogirl

ecogirl New Seed

That's a bit difficult to answer without seeing a photo. I can say this. It is all related to 'scale' which means if the wall is huge where you're putting outdoor lighting, then the light should be of a good size and not a tiny one or even a regular sized one.

You probably could buy one on the condition that if the size doesn't work, you can bring it back. Don't take everything apart and leave as much in wrapping as possible.

Hope this helps.

4. golf_girl

golf_girl New Seed

Thanks! I was actually wondering if there's some standard ratio that people use to determine the size. I understand the larger the space the larger the fixture - same as inside. I just don't know what's considered large.

I know when you buy a chandelier you take (in feet) the width plus the length of the room and that's approximately the size (in inches) of chandelier you get. I didn't know if there was any comparable formula for outdoor fixtures.

I'm having trouble uploading my picture - syntax error or something. I'll go back and read up on uploading a picture.

5. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Here's the tutorial on Uploading photos

It's really easy once you get the hang of it. Looking forward to seeing the wall in question. ;)

Advertisement
  6. golf_girl

golf_girl New Seed

[​IMG]
    Garages ( photo / image / picture from golf_girl's Garden )

Got it! There are actually 3 garages there. One didn't quite make the picture, but it's on the far right.

7. ecogirl

ecogirl New Seed

Ah! a picture really is worth a thousand words.

See if I get this right. You're putting lights by the garage doors, yes?

I would use two lights. Meaning, one light on the left end of the "L" and one light on the right end of the L. I've seen lights on each side of every garage door, and I think it's waaaay too many and distracting.

The size could be long and narrow with minimal ornamentation giving a more contemporary look, or you could do a standard 'lantern' size with more ornamentation for a classical look.

Just go and have some fun. Some rules work really well, and others are meant to be broken. As a designer, that's my rule.

An eco suggestion: use compact fluorescent bulbs. They come in different color ranges (warm to cool) and last a very long time and don't use as much energy.

Show us a picture when you have some options. I'm sure we'd love to give some opinions.

Thanks for sharing.