Help with shrub Clerodendrum trichotomum

Discussion in 'Trees, Shrubs and Roses' started by Bodhi, Jan 16, 2011.

1. Bodhi

Bodhi Seedling

OK gardeners. i need your input.
    A gardening friend of mine ane I traded some plants back in '08, her end a clerodendrum, shrub variety. (trichatomum)
    I can't find any informationon it pertaining to whether the plant is deciduous or not. And it keeps losing leaves, even at odd times. I do keep watered and fertilized, but have quit since our rains stopped in November. It does not look like this now. All the leaves have fallen off. Also, I inserted the flowers, they are not from this shrub, just for reference to type. And twice it has gotten brown spots on the leaves, to what this is I have no idea.
    Is there any tricks to growing this plant? She is a very good internet friend, and i want to show her pictures of it blooming, hopefully next spring. it was literally a stick when I got it, and I've gotten it this far, don't want to lose it now after all this babying.

[​IMG]
    Clerodendrum-tree-shaped ( photo / image / picture from Bodhi's Garden )

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

The information I have dug up on Clerodendrum trichotomum is conflicting about it being deciduous or not. Some declare that is deciduous, some say it is evergreen up to zone 7.
    One site did say that it is vulnerable to fungal problems, that might be the cause of the black spots.

You might call the county extension office for your area and be able to get more exact info that will be much more helpful.

Bodhi likes this.
  4. Bodhi

Bodhi Seedling

Toni, TY. The spots are brown...i'm wondering if it's some deficiency in the 'soil,' (what a joke) as we really don't have soil in that sense. It's sand/silica with a very thin layer of naturally broken down pine mulch...that holds down the sparse weeds and grass.
    I always add nice rich compost and other soil ammendments to the planting holes, but i really don't know how long that lasts the plants.
    I've often tried to look up the actual root balls of certain plants, to see how large and what direction they will eventually grow. And leaf drop still puzzling me. I know one thing, iron in soil would help. I'm picking up a bag of Ironite next week.
    Another thing that would be great here on on this site: A database that included a photo reference of the various viruses, diseases, and pest damages that occur. That way we could all look them up right here, plus it would bring traffic your way. :)
    I've often used 'Google Image' to see what pops up with them, but not always clear, or proper info. Just an added kind of rambling thought ;)

5. Coppice

Coppice In Flower

Nichole, your in FL so some of my common sence may not apply. I might look around at what local presentation gardens do.

In particular do they mulch and with what? Here in OH that'd be with bark mulch.

Mulch is a dual purpous landscaping tool in northern application. it conserves water and breaks down into the high carbon humus many trees preffer.

My guess is this is still true in Florida, but your observation will confirm my guess.

Your picture looks like it might have mulch around your tree, so I could be talkiing larger than my experience.

Advertisement
  6. Bodhi

Bodhi Seedling

yes Coppice, it is mulched. Down here we get basically two varieties. One being pine shreddings, the other Melaluccea, an Australian nightmare tree that is only good for mulch, IMO.
    You have me wondering if the PH of the pine mulch might be affecting it? Thanks for the heads up, I'm going to have to learn more about this shrubby tree. I like asking in forums instead of google, as many times the info is just copy and paste, and sometimes entirely wrong.

7. Coppice

Coppice In Flower

In Daves Garden they are described as deciduous hearty tropical. Inasmuch as FL has had a cold snap(s). This may not be that big of a deal.

Butterfly tree should be hearty in FL and a bit north of FL, so you may be witness to its perfect winter storm.

Posters have it growing in a wide range of places (and that usually means a variety of PH's), so that doesn't sound like an issue.

At my great distance I'm not reading any "Oh my gosh if it does...."

The worst grumblings were its willingness to spread by rhizome.
    Hope this helps.

8. Coppice

Coppice In Flower

OK ok I dug out Dirr's "Manual of Woody Landscape Plants", He says some rather disparaging things about it on pg 238. Its willingness to die back and grow rhizomes has him rather soured on it.

There was nothing about PH sensitivity, just if you want this in a tree shape cut out the volunteers dilligently.

he likens it to looking like a dumpster. :-( says it will die back in northern plantings up to zone 6! to soil line...

IMO the good news is yours should come back as spring opens up. The bad news is some or all of your top may die back...

9. Bodhi

Bodhi Seedling

I just went out and touched/lightly bent it's upper branches. It is definitely green wick under the bark, so no death, and buds slowly showing up. I am just hoping I don't get the feared brown blotches I've seen the past two summers....grrrr