Herb starts

Discussion in 'Herb Gardening' started by marlingardener, Feb 15, 2017.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

I started Basil Genovese, sage, oregano, flat-leaf (Italian) parsley, and Mexican tarragon from seed. I planted lots, since I've never had good germination with sage, oregano and Mexican tarragon, and I can always find homes for extra parsley and basil.
    This year I changed suppliers, and the germination rate is phenomenal! I just up-potted the basil and parsley, which were planted on Jan. 24 and now have 18 basil plants (and more coming) and 16 parsleys. They are still under lights and are crowding my tomatoes and peppers.
    Question--can I trust sunlight alone to give sufficient light to the larger herb plants? They are on shelving in a south facing window that has Venetian blinds that break up the glare. I've never faced this before and would really appreciate y'alls opinions.

Henry Johnson likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Maybe giving them the sunny part of the day feeling the sun's warmth outside and keeping them under lights in the south window at night and on cooler days would be the way to go.
    Mexican Tarragon is native to Mexico and Central America so sunlight and 70+ temps will feel like home to them. Sage and Oregano are Mediterranean plants and could use the nice warmth too.
    OMG, you used the world y'alls :eek: maybe there is hope of you becoming an almost Texan afterall.

4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Toni, our herb starts are at least 3 to 4 weeks from going outside. We are having about the same temperatures as you--today is 50ish.
    My gro-lights won't accommodate all the six-cell units, so I need to move some of the larger plants to an upper shelf where they will just get sunlight. They have been off the heat mats for over a week, and don't seem to miss the extra heat. Our house is kept at 65 degrees and even off the heat mat, the plants are growing and doing well. I don't want to lose these extra herbs because they can go to good homes later.
    Y'all is so useful, and so much more poetic than "all of you"!

Henry Johnson likes this.
  5. mart

mart Strong Ash

If they are already growing well it should not bother them at all to just get sunlight. But you will need to rotate them so they don`t lean into the sunlight.

marlingardener likes this.
  6. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

The biggest of the starts were moved to the top shelf where they will get more sunlight. After almost three days, they don't show any unhappiness! I am rotating them twice a day according to your suggestion, Mart. Thank you Toni and Mart from me and my herbs!