Hi from Zone 5

Discussion in 'Welcome to GardenStew' started by ColdeMtnGirl, Apr 21, 2020.

1. ColdeMtnGirl

ColdeMtnGirl New Seed

I am brand new to Garden Stew. I am a hobby homesteader, meaning I am still learning and working my way to being more and more self sustaining. We have a small farm with a few animals and we expand our vegetable garden every year it seems. I also have many flower beds but I am most dedicated to growing our food. Overtime I am trying to work my way to all perennial beds, wild edibles and perennial medicinal herbs for teas and such for the flower beds so that I can spend the bulk of my time in the veggie garden.

I am hoping to learn from other gardeners and pass on what I have learned thus far around our little farm.

carolyn, Jewell, Growingpains and 5 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. adam.ca

adam.ca In Flower

Welcome!

I'm in Zone 5 as well, the growing season is about to really get going! have you started anything indoors or outdoors yet?

Growingpains likes this.
  4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

:wave:Hi there and a warm welcome to our forums from Scotland. I look forward to getting to know you.

Growingpains likes this.
  5. mart

mart Strong Ash

Hi there from Texas! Sounds like you have an interesting project going ! Hope to hear more about it !

Cayuga Morning and Growingpains like this.

Advertisement
  6. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Hi ColdeMtngirl :wave:
    Welcome to Gardenstew from Southern Ontario!
    I'm in zone 5 too, just waiting for some good weather so I can get planting!

Growingpains likes this.
  7. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Hello ColdeMtn Girl. SE Michigan I believe may be zone 5, not certain.
    The idea of homesteading is appealing. Alas, my youth is long since past. I still enjoy growing a lot of our food. We have eaten salad from the garden this past week, lettuce and spinach. Kale is barely up. Red onions are growing nicely. Too cold yet to set out tomato or pepper plants. I did plant Blue Lake bush beans a few days ago. Beets, carrots, Bunching onions, tomato seeds which probably won't be peeking above ground until it warms.
    ColdeMtnGirl, you mentioned herbs for tea. Do you have in mind growing Borage? Once established, you will have it forever. Same with mint.
    Blessings on your homesteading efforts.

8. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Welcome, we are on a small farm in central Texas, zone 8a or 8b, depending on the wind! We did live in upstate NY for many years, so are somewhat familiar with your zone.
    Tell us what animals you have, please. I highly recommend laying hens. We have a small flock of Australorps, which are adapted to our climate. I have a link to a chicken breed site that tells about hens hardiness, adaptability to climate, and size/color of eggs. I'd be happy to share if you are interested.
    Growing, harvesting, and (best of all) eating food you have grown is wonderful. Go for it, don't let any setbacks discourage you, and slowly expand your gardens and experiences.

Cayuga Morning and Growingpains like this.
  9. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Hi from PNW Puget sound. Lovely :heart:Alpine goats:heart: In your avatar. Welcome :stew1:

Growingpains likes this.
  10. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Marlin, such wonderful encouragement to our Newbie. You're blessed to raise chickens, grow your own eggs (sort of) I wish our trailer park allowed portable chicken houses.coops and yards. Chickens are fascinating creatures and fresh, free-range eggs are the best.

marlingardener likes this.
  11. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Welcome to GardenStew @ColdeMtnGirl :stew2: Looking forward to hearing about your adventures!

12. Odif

Odif Young Pine

Hiya and welcome from the Pyrenees, zone something or other.

Growingpains and Cayuga Morning like this.
  13. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Welcome ColdeMtnGirl! Sounds like you have an ambitious, and intriguing project! I hope you have lots of fun with it.

I am in zone 6a, recently re-zoned from 5, so it fairly similar to your temps.

I grew up on a "mini farm". We raised sheep, chickens, goats and had an extensive veggie garden. Also fruit trees, raspberries, strawberries, grapes & currants. I loved it.

Growingpains and marlingardener like this.