Hi I am new to Garden Stew. Need advice.

Discussion in 'Welcome to GardenStew' started by Matthew Watts, Feb 22, 2021.

1. Matthew Watts

Matthew Watts New Seed

I have a houseplant with long green leaves with yellow spots. In the very cold winter even indoors all the leaves dropped off. Will this plant come back

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Susan III
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Rastagoth
      Replies:
      Views:

3. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

Hello and welcome to GardenStew! :smt039

If you can upload a picture, we would be able to assist you better.

Without seeing what the plant is, I can only speculate - So I suspect your plant might be a croton golden mist.

[​IMG]

This below is another type of croton golden mist.

[​IMG]

If this is correct, we would still need to see the plant. To be able to tell if anything can be done to bring it back to life... If the main stem is thick and the plant is of a mature size, then there is a chance. And if there is any green spot still left anywhere, (even a small branch) - Then there is hope it will recover.

Generally speaking, crotons are very tough jungle plants. But they are tropical, and do well in a rainforest type of a hot and humid environment. So a hard and dry winter can kill them. And too much direct sunlight also changes the color of the leaves, (can cause the leaves to burn beyond a certain level of exposure). But otherwise they can withstand almost anything. Garden pests too often don't find this planet attractive (as far as I know).

However, this is just speculation on my part. Maybe your plant isn't a croton, but is something else? So like I said so before - Unless we can see a picture of it, then we would be in a better position to assist you.

But just remember, no matter how sick the plant, if there is any green spot anywhere on the plant. Then all might not be lost. Now if you can give some carbon dioxide gas to this plant, (provided that there is still some green spot somewhere). Then the plant often recovers.

You can mix white vinegar and baking soda, and it will give you huge amounts of CO2. But carbon dioxide is a heaver then air gas. So place the plant in a bucket, with some cool temperature LED lights above it. Then try this experiment - And there is a good chance the plant might come back to life! As carbon dioxide is to plants, what oxygen is to us...

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
  4. mart

mart Strong Ash

Yes we do need to see what plant you have !