Hi!

Discussion in 'Welcome to GardenStew' started by elcoloan, Apr 14, 2020.

1. elcoloan

elcoloan New Seed

Good afternoon ... glad to see this kind of forum.

I joined because I'm trying to turn an unused shower into my little indoor veg and fruit garden, and would love some guidance and want to learn more about different plants.
    Got some spinach and tomatoes going on... plan to have others as well... hopefully some berries soon. The idea is to be able to at least supply my spinach needs (I eat a lot of it with my girlfriend) and hope to find out what other veggies I can plant/supply myself.

Hope I can also help others with what I've learnt so far, which isn't much really.

adam.ca likes this.
  2. Odif

Odif Young Pine

Better to grow chard than spinach indoors because your spinach will just bolt. Spinach is best grown in winter either outdoors or in tunnels depending on your climate.

elcoloan and Sjoerd like this.
  3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Welcome elcoloan - so glad you've joined us here at the Stew. :stew2:

elcoloan likes this.
  4. adam.ca

adam.ca In Flower

Welcome, I don't think there is many hydro growers here... I guess you don't have an outdoor space? would love to see more pics of your hydro setup, if you want to show it off. Cheers!

elcoloan likes this.

Advertisement
  5. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

Welcome. :smt039

We've got some active members here who have real hands on experience with hydroponics. I too have tried my hand at aquaponics once, (without fish, as I didn't wish to kill them while experimenting).

It's actually easy once you know how... It takes a fair amount of trial and error, (depending on your particular weather, hours of sunlight, and other factors also). But in the end it is always fun to learn by exploring the limits. The experience is indeed a memorable one, and worth cherishing.

So welcome to Garden Stew once again. I can see you too will become a valuable member here - Looking forward to assisting, as well as learning from you.

:D

Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
    elcoloan likes this.
  6. mart

mart Strong Ash

Hi there and welcome from Texas ! Would be helpful to know your geographical location ! There is no more perfect food than fresh spinach ! I saute it for a few minutes and add butter,salt ect ! I am a happy camper ! Also in salads when small and fresh !

elcoloan likes this.
  7. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

elcoloan likes this.
  8. elcoloan

elcoloan New Seed

Thanks all! I have a balcony but it faces toward another building real close so theres basicaly no direct sun light ever. I've got some tomatoes starting there in soil... hopefully they take off.

For now I'm trying passive hydroponics with kratky buckets, and i've done hempy/dutch buckets in the past. Right now my 3 spinach plants are in Krakty buckets... i started a thread here about them https://www.gardenstew.com/threads/is-everything-ok-with-my-spinach.41824/#post-384842

And yeah... Im aware that too.mcuh spianch is bad... so sad i really luv it.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2020
    S-H likes this.
  9. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Hi @elcoloan and a hearty welcome to GardenStew! Glad to have you here :stew1:

elcoloan likes this.
  10. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Young Pine

Hi! And Welcome

elcoloan likes this.
  11. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Welcome to Garden Stew....we love pictures of plants, growing systems, pets and projects!!!
    I don't think anyone ever told Popeye the Sailor Man that too much spinach was not a good thing.

elcoloan, S-H and Frank like this.