Holes in Rhubarb & Grape Vine Leaves

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by brittlillian, May 21, 2015.

1. brittlillian

brittlillian New Seed

Hello everyone,

I tried finding a resolution to my problem on Google but I am not finding anything. My grapes seem to be coming in wonderfully but there are holes in the leaves and I am obviously concerned. I also have my rhubarb plant that's trying to grow and it also has the same issue.

I was tempted to buy pesticide but that's not really the route that I want to take. How can I fix this issue?

2. Loading...

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Are the holes round, and close to, or on the edge, of the leaves? If so, you have leaf cutter bees, which do not harm the plant (except its appearance) and are beneficial in that they do pollinate. They take a chunk of leaf to make their nests. We get leaf-cutters on our roses, and occasionally on other shrubs. Grapes and rhubarb are also prone to the chomping bees.

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I get those holes in my rhubarb and, as Marlingsrdener says, they are caused by leaf cutter bees. I've actually been able to catch one in the act and it's quite fascinating to watch them cut out the section of leaves. My rhubarb is never damaged and so I let them alone to get on with building their nests and rear the next generation. I hope these are what is causing the holes in your grape vine and rhubarb leaves.

5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Hello,I wonder if you could post a close-up foto of the leaf holes.

6. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

My rhubarb has the same thing going on.