Home and Contents Insurance

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Doghouse Riley, Feb 8, 2021.

1. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Young Pine

I've participated in the "annual pantomime" with my home and contents insurers.

They sent me a renewal notice on Saturday, telling me that my premium for this year would be 8% greater than last year.

I e-mailed them over the week-end saying, I was unwilling to pay that and I'd go elsewhere.

They phoned me this afternoon and after a "frank discussion," I'll be paying 4% less than last year for the same cover.

Why do we have to go through this charade every year?

Because so many people are willing to accept such increases without question.

It's the same with car insurance.

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. S-H
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Odif
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Don't even get me started about insurance companies!!
    Our home insurance company decided this year, after 30+years with no claims, that they couldn't insure us anymore because we have 2 heating oil tanks on our property. This was 4 months after paying for the year in full. Then, after we found another insurance company to insure our home, they increased our auto insurance rates because we no longer qualified for the multi policy discount! Our auto insurance comes due in October and you can be sure that we will be moving to the new company - which by the way, gave us better coverage on our home insurance for less money!

Sjoerd and Doghouse Riley like this.
  4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Holy-moly Netty !
    I could rail on about insurance companies too. However, this story of yours is really disgusting. The transparency of the move to milk you is scandalous. Heck, once you get all your insurance ducks in a row, I wonder if you shouldn’t contact a radio or telly show and explain what happened. We have such shows here in our country, perhaps they exist in Canada as well. This sort of money- grubbing ought not to go on without consequences. I wonder what this company’s customers or prospective customers would think when they learn how this company treats long- time loyal customers.
    I am glad it came out well for you.

S-H likes this.
  5. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

I swear, not a day goes by when someone from somewhere doesn't try to scam us in one way or another...

:frustrated:

Thankfully home insurance isn't mandatory here. But car insurance is. However aur people are so lazy, that around 40% of the cars driving on the road aren't insured in any way - So if a cop pulls you over and asks to see your documents, you just wave a 500 Rupee (around 3 US Dollars) note under his nose. And everybody instantly becomes happy!

:rofl:

So I only buy 3rd party coverage. Meaning that in case there is any accident in which a 3rd car is also damaged. Insurance will pay for that. But I and the other person will have to settle the matter in court... So this costs me just 700 Rupees a year, (almost 5 US Dollars only).

Funnily, the insurance company I get my car policy from. Is actually just a bogus company which has never honored any claim in it's entire history, (their lawyer will always find some technicality in the court to not pay)...

But they are a fully registered insurance company, authorized to give automotive insurance... However it's actually just a joke company, (created by someone to just stick it to the authorities). Which is why their charges are so ridiculously low.

:smt044

I figured, just pay 700 Rupees a year, once only - Instead of having to pay 500 bribe to the cops every time they pull you over.

IMG_20210209_195915.jpg

Real insurance from a reputable company would easily cost anywhere between 15,000 to 25,000 Rupees a year, (over 150 US$)...

Cops too absolutely HATE this bogus insurance certificate upon sight, (as they can't do anything about it, because it is after all a fully registered and completely legitimate company). So when they see this, they get angry, as now they won't be able to collect any bribes for themselves...

:snicker:

So next they then scrutinize all your other papers, in the hope that they can find some type of discrepancy. In order to pave the way for their bribes... Once a cop gave me this treatment, and so after not finding anything - He as a last ditch effort then decided to search the entire car, (for contraband or anything at all which would enable him to have something over me). Half an hour later, he gave up and walked away carrying such a devastated face of disappointment - Which can best be described as if I had forced him to eat cow dung or something!

So to now just add insult to injury, (as he was walking away), I laughingly shouted: Had your fun??? Sure you don't want to check anything else? I next reached into my shopping bag, and tossed a small packet of peanuts in his direction, then shouted to not be a sore loser, (which over here it's considered a big insult, as this tossing of peanuts is what people do with monkeys).

:snicker: :rofl::smt044

Last edited: Feb 9, 2021

Advertisement
  6. mart

mart Strong Ash

We have excellent coverage but it cost $1200. per year for 3 vehicles ! Can`t complain about the company !

7. DianneWoollie

DianneWoollie In Flower

8. DiannneBulosan

DiannneBulosan New Seed

I had to go through it last year too. Tbh, I have no clue why they make us pass it. I mean, I want to live my happy and calm life alone. I don't like getting disturbed. I have a friend working in Homeowners Insurance in Maryland, so he complained about the same. Hope this year I won't get disturbed by this nonsense. Luckily it's not spread among house insurance cases. Otherwise, I won't even try to get insurance for my house. Anyway, wish you all the best. I hope you have enough patience for that. Good luck.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2022