Hong Kong Flower Show 2015

Discussion in 'Garden Visits and Flower Shows' started by Nadea, May 2, 2015.

1. Nadea

Nadea New Seed

I finally got to go to the Hong Kong Flower Show held every year in March in Victoria Park on Hong Kong Island.

Wow!

If you want to see flowers, that's the place to go! I'll just post a few pictures to give you an idea what's at our show.
    floral-dress-lotus357x500px.jpg orchid357x500px.jpg
    Lotus Dress (Photo by Nadea Corkum) Cypripedioideae (Photo by Nadea Corkum)

P1040234peoplejpg3x7.jpg
    Tulip Love (Photo by Nadea Corkum)

Swiss-garden357x500px.jpg floral-dress-red357x500px.jpg
    Swiss Garden (Photo by Nadea Corkum) Oncidium Orchid Dress (Photo by Nadea Corkum)

I might be wrong that the orchids on the red dress above are Oncidium, but that was the theme of the show, so a good guess! And check out the green roof on the little cabin in the Swiss garden.

Several countries were represented at the show including Thailand, Switzerland, France, Singapore, England, Australia, to name a few. There were booths showcasing African Violets, Orchids, Chinese Medicine, Florist designs, as well as booths selling plants, pots and more plants, books and food! In the middle were several huge displays of flowers.

Hope you enjoy! I have oodles more pictures if you want to see more!
    Hope this uploads in the proper manner...

2. Gardengirl

Gardengirl Young Pine

WOW indeed Nadea, what amazing photos, so unusual......more please:)

Nadea likes this.
  3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

WOW and WOW again. Do I want to see more - OH YES PLEASE.:D What wonderful photographs Nadea - how I wish I'd been there with you. Did you buy any plants and if you did what were they? I would have been wandering about not knowing what to look at next and thoroughly enjoying myself. :smt045 I'm so glad you're sharing this flower show with us all. :smt026

Nadea likes this.
  4. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Would definitely love to see more photos Nadea :like: Looks like there was so much effort put into the show.

Nadea likes this.

Advertisement
  5. Ms kitty 01

Ms kitty 01 In Flower

I love the little cottage garden. Yes, I would love to see more pix.

Nadea likes this.
  6. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

Flower shows indeed are a very fun place to be! Specially if you are looking for outdoor garden furniture and sculptures, rare plants and seeds, or to meet like-minded people. Only problem with flower shows is that they are only held for just a few days in a years... :( Which is why whenever at such a place, we must take as many pictures as possible! :D

But here we run into another problem also - For example, I made the most detailed video of the 2011 flower show held in my city (over an hour long). However later when I was editing and composing the video, I realized that while I was recording everything in detail, I myself actually missed the whole flower show. I mean I couldn't enjoy it myself in the way I normally would have, (as I was too preoccupied with handling the camera)... :shrug:

Really excellent pictures you uploaded by the way! :like: Please upload some more if possible. :)

Last edited: May 3, 2015
    Nadea and Cayuga Morning like this.
  7. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Very beautiful. I especial like your picture with the shed. Thank you for sharing and please let us see more...

Nadea likes this.
  8. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Nadea, thank you for sharing the flower show with us! I have never been to one as beautiful or creative as that. Yes, if you do have the time please do share more photos!

Nadea likes this.
  9. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

One question, were the Bonsai trees and Japanese water garden concepts also featured at the show? I ask because that is something I have always been very curious about (since my early childhood). I really find it fascinating - Also, [and I do apologize in advance if it's the wrong thing to ask] - But I have been very curious about the Chinese art of Feng Shui too (and I know that it is widely practiced in Hong Kong). So how does that relate to plants and tree? Is there any literature (written in English) that we can learn from?

Just curious... :)

Nadea likes this.
  10. Nadea

Nadea New Seed

Thanks everyone! Glad you enjoyed the photos. I said I'd post some more, so here they are.
    IMG_3382cr500x357px.jpg

IMG_3405cr500x357px.jpg

IMG_3433cr357x500px.jpg
    Ichibana - Japanese floristry

IMG_3442cr362x500px.jpg
    IMG_3448cr500x357px.jpg

IMG_3469cr500x357px.jpg
    I didn't buy any plants. I always kill orchids! That doesn't mean I won't keep trying since I got some helpful hints from a friend recently.

IMG_3484cr355x500px.jpg
    I don't know what the significance of the birds are, but there were a lot of them, some with moving parts!

IMG_3491cr500x357px.jpg

IMG_3517cr500x375px.jpg
    The animal and bird "sculptures" were all made with carnations.

IMG_3518cr500x357px.jpg
    Now, isn't he cute?
    IMG_3734cr357x500px.jpg
    The building in back is the Library.

IMG_3746500x357px.jpg
    Part of the Ocean Park display.

P1040076cr500x357px.jpg
    The Chinese garden.
    Sorry, didn't get any pictures of the Japanese garden because there were too many people in the way!
    P1040059cr500x357px.jpg

P1040194cr357x500px.jpg
    I guess I have to stop posting photos as I've reached the limit.:rolleyes: Oh well, this should give you a basic overview of what there is at the Hong Kong Flower show. I didn't see any garden furniture at our show, perhaps it's not a big feature here because few people have a place for garden furniture. It's not really a concept, except among a few.

Re the bonsai display...I found it quite unimpressive. I've seen way better in China. Consequently, I didn't take any pictures of them. The one I posted is my husband's photo.

Re the practice of Feng Shui... I can tell you that trees and water do factor in it. I know the banks like to have running water features near them because it's like money running into the bank, or something like that. I really shouldn't even comment on it, because I don't have a clue about it. There is probably loads written in English on the subject. Do you have access to Amazon in Pakistan? You could likely find something there. It is very much practiced in HK. You are right about that. But I'm not Chinese, so I don't know much about it. Sorry!

There were lots of booths selling lots of stuff. There could have been garden furniture, but it wasn't the main part of the show. Flowers were the focal point. I have to admit, I ignored the booths, for the most part, once I figured out they were the same ones that are over at the Flower Market. I can go to the Flower Market to see them! (That's another thread!)

I know what you mean about being stuck behind a camera and missing the event. That's the way I felt on one of our holidays once. I feel like I missed the whole thing because I was stuck behind my camera the whole time. Lesson learned!

Right now, the Flame Tree is coming into bloom outside the front window of my home!! It's going to be stunning. It's one of my favorite trees.

Cheers!:stew1:

Frank and S-H like this.
  11. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I so enjoyed seeing your photographs. I really liked the Japanese garden and the flower displays were terrific. I never get bored with seeing great pictures of flowers and plants - especially from other countries. I'm so glad you had your camera with you so that you could share your pictures with us.

Nadea likes this.
  12. Nadea

Nadea New Seed

Glad you enjoyed them!