Hot and Humid.....

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by fatbaldguy, Jun 17, 2017.

1. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy In Flower

got out in it anyway. Before sunrise. Got the garden hoed out. I hate purslane. Peas are done, those will come down this evening. Beans and cukes are blooming. Will be starting more cabbage this weekend too. Love that Jersey Wakefield for cabbage rolls, seems to me to have the best leaves for that purpose. Late Flat Dutch is heading up very well. I may have a 25 pound (12 kilo) head or two in that bunch. I got the tomato's out late, and they are behind. Gonna start some more determinate ones this weekend as well. Two canning sessions a few weeks apart seem to work better than one HUGE one. Having some of my best luck ever with Bell peppers this year. Already have some on the stem. The Poblano's are blooming already too. Hope I didn't jinx it by bragging too soon.

I'll be putting in some beets and turnips for fall harvest in late August.

Bought some field peas mixed with hulled oats to use as a cover crop this fall to try and get some of the weeds under control. Maybe it will choke out the purslane, maybe not. Can't hurt anyway.

I'm off to a Cousin's Breakfast shortly. Once a month we cousins meet and break bread together. Hard for me to believe, but I'm one of the 'elders' in the family now. Enough rambling from an old fat man for a while.

2. Loading...

3. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Humid here too....good ole' Tennessee! Gotta love the South. :confused:

I get the "elder" thing. It still startles me at times to realize that at most gatherings, I'm one of the older folks. And it's weird for me because I don't FEEL old, I'm told I don't look old, and I sure know I don't ACT old! :D And yet I look around, and often I'm the oldest person there. Just a strange sort of zone to be in.

Hope you enjoy your Cousin's Breakfast! Come back and tell me what you ate...I need to eat, vicariously, through you, because my diet restrictions (of my own making, to keep my weight in check) don't leave me hungry, just....wanting....all the food I can't eat in the quantities I'd like to consume! ;)

carolyn likes this.
  4. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

You've been busy FBG! I hope I have good luck with peppers this year too... I haven't had much luck with them the past few years. If they don't work this year, I won't plant them again.

5. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy In Flower

Well Ronni, I had eggs, over easy. They were on top of crispy hash browns. Some thick cut pork loin, and biscuits with pepper gravy. And coffee. Lots of coffee. Did I mention coffee?

Advertisement
  6. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

FBG... if you want some marglobes I have a who;e flat if you want a drive. you are welcome to them. pretty soon they are going to go in the compost.I also have romas, san marzanos and giant paste and olpakas too. you can have any or all of them. plaease feel free to take me up on the offer. I wont' be home tomorrow so it would ave to be monday or later. let me know i will pop you my address.

fatbaldguy likes this.
  7. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Ronni... funny you mentioned this. A friend and I were just discussing how grandmothers are depicted in stories... rocking chair, grey hair in a bun and oooooooold looking. our generation is seeing a huge difference in activity level and age as grandparents.

8. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

homer-simpson-drooling-over-food-i12.jpg

fatbaldguy likes this.
  9. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy In Flower

Thanks Carolyn. I'll be fine with the tomato's. That said, I'll be coming up that way again this fall, I'm gonna make a special effort to find your place and surprise you. I wouldn't just drop in, I would give you at least an hour's warning. LOL

Odif, carolyn and Ronni like this.
  10. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I would be pleased and honored of you took the time fbg. Let me know.

Odif likes this.