House Progress and Garden Regress

Discussion in 'Home Improvement, DIY and Repair' started by Palm Tree, Dec 6, 2010.

1. Palm Tree

Palm Tree Young Pine

I am starting this thread with the hope of keeping all the stewbies up to date with the progress on my house renovations.
    The whole process started in 2008 already when I had plans drawn up for extensive renovations to my house.
    The plan is to take the whole roof off and add a new storey to the house instead of taking up valuable gardening space to extend the house.
    Needless to say - the start was extremely slow in that I had to submit the plans to the local council for approval. At long last the approval was granted and we could start inMarch 2010.
    First up was the Garage - I needed a place to stay while they take the roof off.
    No glitches and the garage was done and I moved in.
    House ready for the builders to start 'plundering'
    This is what the house looks like now:

[​IMG]
    Rooftiles on the cobbles ( photo / image / picture from Palm Tree's Garden )

This is LP watching from a distance wondering where is she going to swim when the hot weather hits us.

[​IMG]
    Little Pan (LP) watching from a distance ( photo / image / picture from Palm Tree's Garden )

The lawn already looks terrible - I shudder to think what else must still be sacrificed.

[​IMG]
    Snoopy and LP fishing for a game ( photo / image / picture from Palm Tree's Garden )

However, there is always something to make me smile. My pets probably sensed that I was feeling agitated and quickly got me out of a bad mood. Moree photos next time - there is such a lot, but I have to help hubby quickly.

2. Loading...

3. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Sounds like a HUGE job! I can't wait to see the end result!

4. Palm Tree

Palm Tree Young Pine

Oh Netty
    I was almost asking myself why did I take on this venture?
    We will probably have to wait till May-June 2011 to see the end result.
    But I will try and post some piccies on a daiy basis.
    The stewbies will then be part of the process in this way. It will definitely help me cope if I can share the feelings that I will experience. :stew1:

5. Palm Tree

Palm Tree Young Pine

This is what is left of the front lawn.

[​IMG]
    Front 'lawn' ( photo / image / picture from Palm Tree's Garden )

The gutters are gone:

[​IMG]
    Gutters removed. ( photo / image / picture from Palm Tree's Garden )

And so is the roof:

[​IMG]
    Roofless ( photo / image / picture from Palm Tree's Garden )

As you can see the French doors are newly fitted and new window frames too.
    The old corner window was taken out.

eileen likes this.

Advertisement
  6. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I love topics like this where we get to see the progress being made. All the inconvenience is going to be well worth it once the job is completed.

7. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

In a few years the inconvenience and the mess will be distant memories, and you'll be living in your gorgeous renovated/renewed/remodeled home with a fantastic garden.
    We have renovated three older homes and I haven't killed a contractor, roofer, or plumber yet. The temptation was there, though! I can laugh at most of the incidents now (most) so hang in there, and you'll be very happy soon!
    Thank you for keeping us posted on your progress.

8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I am going to like this thread, Palmpje. I like to follow progress. I do worry about your plants and lawn.
    But--what an undertaking. I take my hat off to you for going through with the plan.
    It was smart to go upwards instead of outwards, loosing more garden space as you said. Good planning. I hope that the guys will work competently and quickly.

Keep the pics coming.

9. Palm Tree

Palm Tree Young Pine

Hi there MarlinGardener
    THank you so much for those encouraging words.
    I will hang on to this thought. Incidently - in last year we had a house built and I actually posted a blog entry on it complaining about the 'finished product'
    Only in hindsight I can laugh at it. In the mean time we have tennants living there else I could have moved in there for the duration of the renovations.
    I actually want to keep an eye on exactly what is happening hence the decision to stay 'on site'in the garage. THough stressful it will be.
    But I will hold on to your words of encouragement. :stew1:

10. Palm Tree

Palm Tree Young Pine

Oh Sjoerd
    "Wat het my besiel?"
    I have no choice now but to go through with the plan.
    It is sort of a compromise - make ample space in town for the whole family to live comfortable together in one house or save for a long time to get a farm..
    THe plan is rather ambitious and maybe a bit over the top for the area where I live.
    The house will have:
    downstairs: 2 bedrooms and 2 full bathrooms (one en-suite)
    the kitchen, lounge, dining room and famliy room leading out onto the patio at the back overlooking the pool.
    upstairs will be 2 bedrooms and 2 full bathrooms (one en-suite)
    a small home gymnasium, a study / office room and a family room that leads onto the balcony.
    I too hope that the works will continue as planned without delays from the local authorities like we had earlier on - would you believe it - a six week delay due to their lack of efficiency.
    But enough said for now I will post some piccies later in the day to show what has been achieved. :stew1:

11. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Chuckle...ahhh.

I see what you mean, Palm Tree. Well the plans look very comfortable to me.

I found that little speck of grass very pitiful-looking. I hope it comes back for you.
    Hang in there!

12. Palm Tree

Palm Tree Young Pine

The pool has been covered and just in time too. THey are taking the ceilings out. (Ooh just dust and debris everywhere.

[​IMG]
    My children looking at the pool being covered ( photo / image / picture from Palm Tree's Garden )

Hi Sjoerd it is rather disconcerting to see that little speck of grass especially since last season when I so diligently followed TOni's advice of a while back on how to scarrify grass.

13. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Hi Palm Tree, I took more than two years to renovate my house when I bought 21 years ago. It took me that long because I had time during the weekends and public holidays to do it. About 70% of it was done by myself alone to save cost :)

Don't worry about the garden everything will fall into place when it is done. It is a good choice to build up to save garden space. Have fun!!!

14. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Oh yes--of course after taking Toni's advice, it makes it all the more disconcerting. Tch!

Well, with the roof finally coming off, I suppose that they will begin with creating the walls of your next level right away, Right?

This is pretty exciting to follow, I must say.

15. Palm Tree

Palm Tree Young Pine

Well they say it is progress even though it may look look like progress. The whole roof is off now and (Note to the self -I must take a piccie and post next time around) the solar panels are on the floor

[​IMG]
    Two solar heating panels and six more to go. ( photo / image / picture from Palm Tree's Garden )

and amongst all the commotion some thing that made me smile!

A blooming Strelitzia reginae and some strawberries.

[​IMG]
    Strelitzia reginae ( photo / image / picture from Palm Tree's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Strawberry flowers ( photo / image / picture from Palm Tree's Garden )

and now my broadest smile for the day:

[​IMG]
    Cycas revoluta with new growth ( photo / image / picture from Palm Tree's Garden )

:D

Droopy and Philip Nulty like this.
  16. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Isn't it wonderful how our gardens cheer us when we need it? Your pictures are great! Is the Strelitzia reginae what I know as "Bird of Paradise?" Whatever it is, it is beautiful!