Houseplant, told it as an Ahoya plant and it was chinese

Discussion in 'Houseplants' started by thejoneswoman, Sep 27, 2006.

1. thejoneswoman

thejoneswoman New Seed

i have a house plant and was told it's name was an AHOYA plant and it was chinese ...but i cannot seem to find anything abour it ..except i was told to water it from the bottom...it has oval leves that seem to like a succulent and grows long vines ....does anyone know anything about this little fellow and how to deal with it ???any help would be appreciated.....

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Clay_22
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Droopy
      Replies:
      Views:

3. muddybob

muddybob In Flower

Try HOYA instead of AHOYA

muddy

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

5. muddybob

muddybob In Flower

I had run across the second website before and followed all the advice but I had been holding off on repotting. I just went out to the deck to see what size pot I would need. I looked down at the long vines dangling over the railing and saw BLOOMS and more are on the way! I've had this plant five years and this is the first time it has bloomed.

muddy

Advertisement
  6. eileen

Maybe it actually likes to be a bit potbound Muddy. Quite a few plants won't produce flowers until the roots are a bit constricted. Any chance of a piccie pleae?

7. muddybob

muddybob In Flower

[​IMG]
    I will not be repotting it any time soon

muddy

8. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

That is a really pretty plant,Muddy . Jubabe has one of those in a hanging basket on her front porch .I don't think it has a red center.She calls it a wax plant.

9. eileen

Neither wonder you've decided NOT to repot it Muddy. Those flowers are really lovely and I can see why Julie calls it a wax plant - they do look waxy. :-D

10. thejoneswoman

thejoneswoman New Seed

thank you all so much for the help...it most certainly is a hoya plant and from the sounds of it ...i think it may be trying to bloom!!!!the pic of the blooming one is so pretty...i can hardly wait now!!!!i will send pics if i get blooms....this seems like a great site for people who love plants ...which i do!!!!i like to buy them from my local farmers market as little ones and watch them grow...make me feel soooo good to see that!!!

11. eileen

Farmers markets are great fun aren't they? We have an organic chap that sells outdoor plants at the one in Edinburgh so I feel happy to add them to my garden and watch them mature.

***(TJW - just to explain - I've had an organic garden for the last twenty + years.)***

12. jubabe296

jubabe296 Official Garden Fairy

[​IMG]
    Muddybob your pic is way better than mine!! I love this plant!! Mine has two flower spikes (don't know exactly what you call them!) blooming and will bloom probably at least 5 more!! I got a cutting from my sister about 3 or 4 years ago and last year was the first time it bloomed!! The flowers look and feel like little pieces of wax! It's an extraordinary plant!!

13. Polly

Polly Thumb Gardener

We have one of those. It was doing nothing so about a year ago we repotted it. Early in the summer it started to bloom and has had several blossoms. It is in the west window of our bathroom. Seems to like it there.

14. jubabe296

jubabe296 Official Garden Fairy

Mine stays out on the front porch until it gets cold then it comes inside in front of the dining room window. When it warms up again it goes back out and it is happy as can be as well!!LOL!! I don't think you can really do anything bad to this plant except putting it in sun or letting it get cold oh yeah or repotting it!!

15. phredrum

phredrum New Seed

[​IMG]
    Just wanted to share a pic of our Hoya (we, too, thot it was Ahoya). It get good sun several hours per day in Northern CA, it's in a fairly small ceramic pot and has been for yrs, I water it 2x/wk and it is blossoming for the 3rd time this yr...

16. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

That is beautiful indeed Phredrum. Thanks for taking the time to post it. Now that you're here maybe pop on over to the Welcome to GardenStew forum and introduce yourself :D