How and when to trim a hibiscus....

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by daisybeans, Dec 2, 2010.

1. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

[​IMG]
    my friend's hibiscus ( photo / image / picture from daisybeans's Garden )

My friend had a hibiscus growing outside through the summer and has now brought it inside for the winter. He asked me if I know how/when to trim it. His words: "I'm trying to keep this manageable" until he takes it back outside in the Spring.

Any words of wisdom?

Thank you.

2. Loading...

3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Hello Daisy--
    I have only pruned inside hibiscuses, my outside ones I have let go and allow them to grow as they will. Additionally--I loose some branches and branch portions due to frosting.

I had to prune my indoor ones because they would otherwise develop these great, long branches similar to the ones that your friend´s plant exhibits.

There are no doubt a number of `correct` ways to do it, but I will give you my take on the subject.

--First of all, I would suggest that he not prune his Hib. in the late fall or winter. The reason I suggest this is because the new growth will be slower and there may well be fewer flowers. If he decides to cut some of the branches all the way back, then spring is a must.

--To begin with just stand back away from it a few feet and look at it´s habitus. Look at it from all sides and decide what you want to do about the shape.
    Decide how bushey or tall you want it. Decide also if you want to cut some of the branches all the way back to the trunk or not.

--Start by removing any damaged or dead growth.

--Next just cut each branch back by not less than 1/3. I pruned some of my plant´s branches back 1/3 and some a bit more.

--When making the cut, look first at the nodes on the branch that you have chosen and select nodes facing outwards. Cut about 1/4 inch above the node.

I suggest this because like any other bush, you want to keep the center open and airy, so the plant can have proper ventilation.
    This aspect of pruning is more important for outside plants because a closed bush center is an ideal place for rotting to set-in as a result of rain water that collects at branch bifurcations. Fungus colonies or a rotting can occur here.

That´s it really.
    BTW--a compliment is in order for a job well done with raising that hibiscus featured in the picture. It looks wuite healthy.

Good luck.

Palm Tree likes this.
  4. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

Thanks, Sjoerd! I'll pass this on to my friend and then I'll kow what to do too, if I ever have a hibiscus. From the looks of the size of this one, I think he may have to do some pruning before Spring... maybe he should just prune lightly? Do you think?

5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I would wait until spring.

Advertisement
  6. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

I brought my orange double flowered hibiscus tree inside. I just couldn't get rid of it. I really don't have the room for it but I wanted to see if I could keep it alive. I can grow things outside, but inside is harder for me...I brought it in and it bloomed like crazy for the first month and then it started dropping all the leaves that turned yellow...it stopped when it dropped about half of them. So far so good ....no blooms but I can wait until spring when it can go outside and get more sunshine.

[​IMG]
    Hibiscus bloom/tree ( photo / image / picture from Sherry8's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Hibiscus bloom/tree ( photo / image / picture from Sherry8's Garden )

Palm Tree likes this.
  7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

That is an absolutely gorgeous Hibiscus, Sherry. I quite like that colour.

8. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

I agree. Beautiful.
    Thanks too, Sherry, for describing how some leaves yellowed. I'll let my friend know that it might happen.
    Thanks for the input from both of you!

9. Palm Tree

Palm Tree Young Pine

Beautiful - The colour reminds me of Salmon. - Maybe I am hungry?

SO soft the colour - It sure is a lovely Hibiscus

10. calinromania

calinromania Young Pine

Hello!
    problem could be spider mites??? is this the english word?
    some of my potted plants get infested and always drop leaves.
    if your still green leaves show tiny white spots on top and even fine web (like a spider's) on top of branches... there it is!
    Maybe your hibiscus got it from other potted plants you've got inside.
    Or it could be just that it's starting to hibernate. and it knows there's no need for all that green around :)

11. Bodhi

Bodhi Seedling

That really is a lovely color of salmon. Looks very healthy too.
    I also trim mine in spring, preferring the tree shape. Just like she said, if done in
    fall/winter, one has to wait a lot longer for blooms. Do tell your friend, that the cut branches root easily in pure perlite with a bit of unmilled sphagnum moss set right under cutting that has been dipped in root hormone. Then he/she can share the yellow 'babies' :)