how are you doing right now?

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by carolyn, Apr 6, 2020.

1. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Just wondering if you all are okay? everyone of us probably is getting a little antsy with being confined at this time.
    just writing it down sometimes helps to alleviate the stress of our situation where ever we find ourselves.
    thankfully we all have a means of communication with the outside world while we are all trying to stay healthy and safe during this pandemic.
    Do you need seeds or a couple plants shipped to you? can I send you something? somethings will ship better than others but if you can't get to the store and I have some seeds or a few plants I think will ship within the US send me a PM.
    Be well all of you.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
    S-H and Doghouse Riley like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Young Pine

That's a very kind offer, But I'm sure most people will manage.

Most will have been contacted, as we have, by volunteers willing to do their shopping

As the late Allan Whicker said in one of his documentaries when he visited a gated community of retired people whio fended for themselves, "They get up in the morning with nothing to do and go to bed at night with only half of it done."
    If I couldn't get out, after spring cleaning the house, I've plenty to occupy me, if I had to stay in. I've my leccy piano, my saxophone, my jukeboxes and no end of favorite film noir on tape, DVD or digital files.

Fortunately here in the UK, although garden centres are closed, plants, bulbs, seeds and other products are available if that store also sells pet food. Seems daft but there it is. I've some food shopping to do tomorrow so while I'm out I'll get a couple of bags of compost in Wilkinsons.

I've read that on-line gardening suppliers like Thompson & Morgan aren't presently taking any more orders as they've been swamped by the public.

4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Carolyn, that is so kind, considerate and generous of you! (I'm not surprised.)
    I'm not antsy--I've been practicing self-isolation for years! No, seriously, I do keep in contact with some friends to make sure they are all right and not in need of anything. Gardening and baking are keeping me busy, and husband has tidied his workshop and is making platform feeders to install at the housing authority where people can sit and watch birds. A generous store has promised to donate a 20 lb. bag of seed monthly and one of the workers is going to pick it up on his way to work. We are all muddling through!
    I was wondering about your family--is everyone sheltering in place? How are your in-laws faring? Keep well, and keep strong. This, too, shall pass (some of the most comforting words in the Bible, which does not say this has come to stay!).

5. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

All is well here. I've only left the property twice since March 13th, both times to get groceries. I am more grateful than ever that we live in a rural area and that I have a few acres to putter around on. The yard work has actually been an amazing distraction this year. I have a good supply of seeds for the garden and thankfully I did get an online seed order delivered last month.

Advertisement
  6. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Jane, we are doing okay as well as the inlaws.., thankfully. doing our best to shelter in place. I am already a stay at home body so for me it isn't as bad as for others. I just don't understand the "need to go" somewhere all the time. we are fairly rural.. the next own is only 2 miles down the road from me with a small grocery store a dollar store and a few other small places so, I don't have to go far for much of anything. we have a large pantry and freezer full so for us its an easy stay at home too. DH isn't as busy since he had already scheduled this time for a development he was planning on starting... well, that hasn't happened so, like Netty... lots of yard and orchard work is getting done at not so rush of a pace and getting done better than normal.

marlingardener likes this.
  7. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Randy has about a year and a half until he can retire so his weekday work routine is the same as it's been for many years and he has been sorting out his 'office/work room/ham shack' in his off hours getting ready for retirement..

Gardening happens when the rain leaves my yard alone..which is not very often so far this month. And if I can't get out in the yard, I have way more sewing and knitting projects to keep me busy inside than I will probably finish in this lifetime....and yet I keep ordering more yarn cause I find a patterns that I just have to have the perfect yarn for.
    We do get out to pick up supper once in a while...there are a few Mom and Pop like eateries that we want to support to give them a chance to make it through all of this.

8. adam.ca

adam.ca In Flower

I go to do all the necessary shoping nowadays, my gf cried the other day because she felt trapped / claustrophobic. she got over it, but ya... at least it's now warming up and sitting outside in the back yard is possible. no matter how to slice it, This s**ks... and seems unnecessary, why not have all the at-risk people stay home / isolated while the rest of us continue biz as usual.

9. Doghouse Riley

Who are the at risk people for cryin' out loud?

It's a contagious virus, everyone's at risk!

It's indiscriminate as to who it affects, even children have caught it and died from it. Those who have other medical issues and are elderly have been the worst affected, but no one is immune.
    Five bus drivers here in the UK have died from it, "continuing bizz as usual."

The point of self-isolation is to help stop it spreading.

Trapped?
    I'm sorry, it's not their fault, but many of the modern generations have no comprehension of the word "adversity."
    Some will think they have.... when they can't get a signal on their mobile phone.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
  10. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Some people are more vulnerable than others. We have a child with an immunity deficiency. He is at a higher risk to develop complications before a healthier individual. we all are at risk some just more so than others. but bringing it home doesn't eliminate the risk for him because we are being out in public. bringing it home to my inlaws in their 90's is a very real an possible situation since we do their shopping. they are at risk and still stay home. we all just have to work harder at being kinder and not stress over the things we can't change, stop or fix.

11. mart

mart Strong Ash

And how do you determine which are the "at risk" people ? Its killing people from age 30 to mid 50`s plus many of us older people ! As well as other age groups & risk factors ! Common sense would tell you to keep your ass at home ! Its not a big deal !
    You go on with business as usual and you put your family at risk ! Your business as uusual could bring it home to them !

12. mart

mart Strong Ash

Some will think they have.... when they can't get a signal on their mobile phone.

Go anywhere and thats all you see,, people glued to phones and laptops ! They can do that at home in their underwear and keep the rest of us hopefully safe !

13. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

I'm fine too, over here in my corner of the world. :D Actually I am really enjoying this, somewhat... :cool: It's just the type of person I am - At my happiest, when everyone else is miserable, (yes I thrive in such environments)!

:snicker: :rofl: :smt044

OK, all jokes aside, many people who have been here since a long time will remember me. As I was perhaps the only doomsday prepper lurking around...

Therefore I was ready for this, (as well as other eventualities), since a VERY long time - Actually, the only reason why I joined Garden Stew, was because I wanted to learn more about growing my own food.

Anyway, if anyone needs any tips on survival, urban survival, or just needs technical assistance or advice about fixing machinery and vehicles, (including maritime transports) - Just remember that I am here now.

Garden Stew has been a most wonderful community. Unbelievably friendly and very welcoming towards everyone - Therefore it would now be my pleasure, to give something back here, in whatever way possible. Seriously, feel absolutely no hesitation whatsoever contacting me.

:like:

Frank likes this.
  14. adam.ca

adam.ca In Flower

some people are far more at risk than others. the media likes to nitpick cases to spread a healthy dose of panic.

well, that's not good. maybe all this hype is warranted

she's immune-compromised so more stressed about this than others might be, but she's fine, just a weak moment after weeks of being locked down.
    losing the internet for a few days would be tragic, lets not even go there.

15. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Thank you so much for your offer Carolyn.
    Movement control order was enforced since March 18th. and we have been out only once to get eggs and petrol for the car, we were out for only 40 minutes tops. Staying in is not a problem for us cause we are the homely type :) on normal days we go out only if we have to. My garden is right in my yard :D
    We are doing great even though there are 5 cases here in our neighbourhood. The problem with these people here is that when they think they are infected they go into hiding instead of reporting it which is making the situation worse. It is their religious believe that their god will decide what is the outcome for them. In some suspected areas the authorities are going from house to house to check after locking down the whole area.

Be safe and take care and put a smile on your face to remove all the stress :) :D :)

S-H likes this.
  16. Doghouse Riley

Yes, for some, I can imagine that, particularly all the "Karens on Facebook."
    The rest of would manage quite well.