How can I make a rain water resevoir out of this aerator?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Freckles, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Freckles

Freckles Seedling

[​IMG]

I believe this is an aerator for a water softening system. I would like to turn it into a resevoir for rain water captured from roof tops. Then to water my garden. Has anyone made one from this type of container? Thank you.

2. Loading...

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

How do you feel about dip and carry?
    If you aren't all that enthused about leaning over the edge to get water, how about putting the aerator up on enough cinder blocks to make it stable, putting a cork or other plug in the little spigot at the bottom, and setting it under a downspout. You could just pull the plug to fill a bucket. I have no idea how to adapt it for a hose fitting.
    If the water pressure pops the cork, you could make a wire cage for the plug that would hold it in place. The cage would have to be swung to the side to remove the plug.

Freckles likes this.
  4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Check out the instructions my hubby posted on how he made my first rain barrel. I have three more that he has made and a store bought one.

Homemade Rain Collection Barrel

Freckles likes this.
  5. Freckles

Freckles Seedling

Thank you marlingardener, I'll use that bucket idea until I can talk hubby into attaching a spigot. Then I can kick the bucket, hehe, :D .

I looked at that rain barrel Toni. I like the idea about the pot and screen to filter out the leaves and stuff. I wondered how to keep that out of the water.

Thanks for all the input!

Advertisement
  6. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Mine is a plastic barrel. The spigot was really easy to put in. We just drilled the hole a little bit smaller than the threaded end. Heated it up with a torch and then screwed it right in and it sealed itself. No leaks after about a year.
    I haven't attached a hose to it, but it's high enough to put a bucket underneath. Which reminds me, but bucket cracked yesterday... I gotta get a new one!

Freckles likes this.
  7. Freckles

Freckles Seedling

I've got a propane torch, that might do the trick. But I think we can reinvent the spout already at the bottom, if not, we'll cap it and do our own thing. This areator came from an irrigation and water system company, they didn't mind giving this used one to me. I was very thankful for that. It is bigger than a 55 gallon drum, and can hold quite a bit of water. While Florida usually gets alot of rain during the summer, this past one wasn't good in our area. One good rain though will overflow this container. Best to all you green thumbers.
    :D

8. rockhound

rockhound In Flower

If you have ever used a wringer-type washer, you know the tubs (some anyway) had a spigot near the bottom and a short hose attached, just long enough to reach the top of the tub. The hose has a hook to hang it over the side. When you want to drain water, you un-hook and lower the hose and it pours out. Then just re-hook when you have enough water.

cherylad, marlingardener and Freckles like this.
  9. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Rockhound, that's brilliant! Simple, but brilliant!

Freckles likes this.
  10. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

This is an example of a drain similar to what Rockhound described. There is a drain hole in the middle of the bottom of the tub with the hose attached. The hose hooks onto the upper edge of the tub, easy to remove and put back.

You will want the hose to be as long as the container is tall or even a little longer, otherwise the water runs out of the hose to keep the level inside the container at the same level as in the hose.

[​IMG]
    Wash tub with drain hose ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

Freckles likes this.
  11. Freckles

Freckles Seedling

Rockhound what a simple and easy solution, I like that idea. Thanks for the picture Toni.

12. rockhound

rockhound In Flower

water

Uh...I didn't invent that, y'all. It was made that way on my old washer. :-D

Freckles likes this.
  13. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Yes, but you saw the connection between the two! That counts as brilliant in my book.
    Toni, only you could post a picture of the hose hook-up on an old washtub. Now you know why you got that tub that you felt was a bit expensive. It was to help out your fellow Stewies!

Freckles likes this.
  14. mart

mart Strong Ash

Is that drain at the bottom PVC or metal ? If its PVC it would be simple to retrofit with a spigot from a RV place and a threaded pipe from hardware store !! It would just need to be far enough off the ground for gravity flow. The spigot has a slide lever to turn water off and on. Then you could use standard water hose.

Freckles likes this.
  15. Freckles

Freckles Seedling

Yes, Mart, it is pvc. That would work. I'm going to set the unit up on blocks under the water spout and use Toni's idea of placing the plant pot in the top with screen to filter out leaves and such. Then I might even paint some pics of flowers on the side. Brighten it up a bit. It will be great to use this to water the plants on the side of the house where I usually have to drag the hose.

Everybody's ideas are coming together. Can't wait to get it done and show off your work. :-D

marlingardener likes this.
  16. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Isn't it wonderful when great minds get together and make something work?

Freckles likes this.