How Do I Prune Blueberries

Discussion in 'Trees, Shrubs and Roses' started by lauriestroupe, Aug 19, 2008.

1. lauriestroupe

lauriestroupe New Seed

We have some blueberry bushes that I think are 5 or 6 years old. We had a great crop this year and I want to keep that going. We've never pruned them.

I noticed this year a large branch - loaded with berries - growing almost parallel to the ground and just above it. I assume I need to take that off. But what else should I be looking for (besides the normal dead or diseased branches)?

Also, I've noticed some nice, neat rows of white eggs under a few leaves. Will pruning help with that problem or is there something else we need to do. We're organic.

2. Loading...

3. gardenmama

gardenmama In Flower

I don't know about the white eggs under the leaves but we have several Blueberry bushes that have produced an amazing amount of blueberries this year. In the fall we prune off anything that seems very woody and hard. DOn't prune off anything new. that will be reddish wood. In the spring when the leaves are back we prune off anything that didn't get leaves. If you have a lot of tiny berries and the bush is very full you might want to cut it back a bit, more energy will go to the berries and less to the leaves.

Good luck.

4. AshleyHunt

AshleyHunt New Seed

I think you need to use some insecticide, seems like you are about to have caterpillars.