How do I start Magnolia seeds?

Discussion in 'Seed Starting / Propagation' started by Beeker, Mar 3, 2009.

1. Beeker

Beeker In Flower

I have some seeds, they are probably too old now, but maybe I can get more, from a Magnolia tree. I want, so badly, to get them growing. I have no idea how.

Please help?

:?:

2. Loading...

3. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

I have tried so hard to get those seeds
    to germinate but to know success.I have
    new seeds but they wont sprout.

4. petunia

petunia Young Pine

I have a few magnolia trees in one of my greenhouse that wintered over. This winter were their first year, so I'm hoping they'll come back as soon as it warms up. I can check & see if I have many more seeds.

5. Palm Tree

Palm Tree Young Pine

I have never heard of someone successfully propagating Magnolia from seed. :-| Around here some of the gardeners who actually manage to grow them used heel-cuttings in summer to propagate theirs. THen again the area where I live is not condusive to growing Magnolia.
    Sorry I cannot really help you, but please keep us posted on how you progress and whether you do manage to get some seed growing.

Advertisement
  6. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

A few things I read recently said they can not be stored at room temp, the lose their viability. If you store them it has to be in the fridge at 30-40F/2-7C degrees.
    Remove the red seed coat and plant in fall or leave the seed coat on and store in fridge until spring. They need to be stratified either by nature thru the winter or a bag in the spring.

When you plant them, keep the soil moist and in partial shade thru their first summer, don't plant them in the sun until their second summer.

It can take 10-15 years to get a bloom when grown from seed.
    And if you got the seeds from a newer hybrid variety, the resulting plant will probably revert back to the older parent variety and not the one you got the seed from.

Propagating from cuttings or layering is an option too.

Beeker likes this.
  7. Beeker

Beeker In Flower

Wow, thank you, Toni. That info will help. There is a beautiful tree at my neighbor's house. I will see what I can get from them.