HOW, oh HOW do I get rid of the DREADED pachysandra????

Discussion in 'Gardening Other' started by Cayuga Morning, Jan 10, 2016.

1. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I have a bank of pachysandra, probably 6 feet by 20 feet. (Actually, maybe it is bigger than that.) (Probably is getting bigger as I type this.) It is a perennial problem. I am forever trying to curb its growth into our lawn and into my perennial garden. I am considering eliminating it....any suggestions?? Its growth is insidious. I swear, even though it is winter here in New England, the pachysandra is still GROWING!
    P1180190.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2016
  2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Digging it up, covering it with black plastic (3 months to a year especially in shady areas) or using chemicals like Roundup are the most effective ways..

4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Pachysandra is a plant that technically speaking is in the Buxus family. It is known here but actually, I see it rarely.

One thing that may be of interest to you is that it has an
    Achilles' heel. It is not a plant that likes moisture. It grows best in dry shade.

My suggestion for you to think about is then that if you over-water it, there is a chance that it will die. The mechanism here is that with the excess water that eventually it will develop Pythium or Volutella pachysandri, which will kill the plant.

If you want to employ this bizarre technique, then do your overwatering after 11 or 12 noon. A simple sprinkling with a watering can is not what I am talking about here, but rather a good soaking each day.

It occurs to me that you may not wish to rid yourself of this ground-cover plant completely...if that is the case, then digging up of certain patches of it would be a good remedy and you would still have some left over to decorate your already lovely -looking perennial plot.

I can understand your feelings, but as an outsider, when I see your foto above, I think to myself how absolutely gorgeous that plot looks, and that the Pachysandra is part of the reason that it is so attractive. hahaha.

Please keep us posted how it goes and what you decide to do.

5. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Thanks Toni & Sjoerd. I am thinking of getting rid of the pachies because they are such a maintenance problem. Despite my efforts every spring & at least one other time in the growing season, the pachie patch is inexorably getting bigger every year. I suppose I could consider getting an in-ground barrier to curb it.

The pachie patch is actually on a slope. Maybe a 3-4 foot slope. I have considered ripping it out (UUUGHH!!!) and replacing the slope with a terrace. Maybe one or two low stone walls. What do you think? I then would plant some low growing shrubs....think low maintenance. Or maybe grow vegetables there.

Sjoerd, I will look into the flooding technique. What I do know about pachies is that they are tenacious. If you rip them out & try to compost them, they will grow in your compost heap. If you throw them bare root in the woods, they start their own patch right there. I can't say I have ever tried killing them with too much water.

Advertisement
  6. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

The weed barrier would stop them from spreading but be sure to use one that is at least 6 inches deep though the terracing sounds like it would very nice looking also. If you decide to put in terracing most of the pachie would be dug up in the process of putting it in so maybe there wouldn't be a lot left to remove. Good luck with what ever you decide.

7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Good luck, CAY. Let us hear what you decide and how it goes. Oké?