How To Divide Meconopsis - Not A Thread For The Faint Of Heart

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Droopy, Mar 30, 2022.

1. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

I grow several types of Meconopsis. Most of them need dividing now and then, or else they die on me. The best time to do this is early spring or in August. I like to do it in spring. I'm usually a bit late. This is how I do it:

Preparation:

Find the tools you need. I use a small spade, scissors and a knife. Find the rudest kids in the neighbourhood and learn some new swear words. You will need them.

20180904_123802 (1).jpg

Carefully dig up the clump. I usually put them on a plastic sheet or a big piece of carboard to see what I'm doing:

20180904_125239.jpg

Start by carefully separating the rosettes by pulling them apart, using the spade, scissors, or the knife if necessary:

20180904_125639.jpg

When you realize this is going to be nigh on impossible, use the words you learned from the neighbours' rude kids, start tugging at and shaking the clump. Throw the tools in a tantrum fit, but please do not do what I did. It went well. No windows or scissors were damaged
    in the process:

20180904_125953.jpg

Once you've managed to separate the rosettes you will have a bad conscience and a few broken leaves. Apologize to the plant, assure her you love her, cut the broken leaves off and start praying to your chosen patron saint of gardeners, i.e. St. Dorothy or St. Fiacre. St. Frances of Assisi will also work:

20180904_135358.jpg

Choose the right kind of soil for the Meconopsis, or mix it yourself if you can't find it in the nurseries. They like humus-rich but well-drained growing conditions. My soil is slightly acid. Carefully plant the rosettes with enough space around them to develop. Keep on apologizing while whispering sweet words.Pray some more:

20180904_135448.jpg

Water well and add soil if needed. Remove the leaves you broke while planting. Keep on praying!

After some time you may enjoy the result of your efforts. Meconopsis may be a lot of work but they're definitely worth it!

20180530_114617.jpg

Dirtmechanic, eileen, Zigs and 2 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

This could go down as the best “How To” evvah.
    They are such wonderful plants. I was sad when mine finally went to heaven a few years ago, but I was consoled when they explained that they would feel more at home being surrounded with all that blue up there.

Of course there will be questions requiring clarification Re: scissors, windows and flying.

More Droopy magic:
    https://www.gardenstew.com/threads/the-meconopsis.26313/

Last edited: Mar 30, 2022
    eileen and Droopy like this.
  4. Droopy

Oooh, so sorry yours didn't last. They don't like too dry and warm conditions, and they don't like wet feet, so finding the balance to keep the soil moist but not too wet or dry isn't easy. We usually have heavenly help with moisture. I have heard gardeners up here say they are short-lived perennials, but I suspect a bit of neglect had something to do with it.

Well, as I said, the tools were thrown here and there when I threw a tantrum because those Meconopsis rosettes just didn't want to get divided. I've found that an outburst of anger and frustration plus a coffee break afterwards will help me calm down and think. I believe the scissors had some divine intervention since they ended up where they did and nothing broke.

I browsed through my old thread. Some of those succumbed to hard frost a few years back. I've managed to get hold of two of them, plus two I didn't have before. I hope they'll bloom this year so I can post photos.

eileen and Sjoerd like this.
  5. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Chuckle Droopy, that was great. Flying scissors. Great photos too.

eileen, Droopy and Sjoerd like this.

Advertisement
  6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Condolences for your loss.
    Do post some piccies if the new ones bloom won’t you.
    Everything is crossed here.

eileen and Droopy like this.
  7. Droopy

Thanks, @Cayuga Morning. The struggle was real. I was planning to make a very nice how-to-thread a couple of years ago for a Norwegian garden flower group I had joined , so I started taking photos as I went. As you can see things didn't go as planned. Neither did the tutorial thread. The spade and knife went flying too, but in two different directions.

I will, @Sjoerd, and thank you.

Sjoerd, eileen and Cayuga Morning like this.
  8. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Droopy, I know I shouldn't be laughing at the picture of you with tools flying....but I am. I can relate.

Droopy and Sjoerd like this.
  9. Zigs

Zigs Young Pine

Brilliant Droopy :)

Sjoerd likes this.
  10. mart

mart Strong Ash

Loved reading this,, now I know what not to buy ! Could get dangerous !

Cayuga Morning and Sjoerd like this.
  11. Droopy

It's OK, @Cayuga Morning. I would laugh too if somebody else posted this thread.

Ty, @Zigs. We aim to please.

@mart, just stock up on patience while getting ready for the job. And chocolate, coffee, soothing music, plus the image of those nice Meconopsis in bloom and you'll be OK. Remember to figure out which saint to send prayers to beforehand.

Cayuga Morning, Zigs and Sjoerd like this.
  12. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

Very nice job and presentation!

I just divided a Lamb's Ears yesterday. Your project was much more extensive.

Sjoerd, Droopy and Zigs like this.
  13. Droopy

Thanks @Daniel W. We have Lamb's Ear, and yes, it's a lot easier to work with.

Sjoerd likes this.
  14. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Say mates, what is the Latin name of the plant you refer to as lambs ear?

Here Lamsoor (literally translated, Lambs ear) is Limonium vulgare.
    There is another lambs ear that is the Stachys byzantina. Which one are you guys talking about here?

Droopy likes this.
  15. Droopy

Sorry, @Sjoerd, I should have thought about there being several plants called Lamb's Ear. Ours is the Stachys byzantina.

Sjoerd likes this.
  16. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Gotcha. Ta.