How to identify a dying ADSL Modem

Discussion in 'Computer and Internet' started by KK Ng, Mar 4, 2010.

1. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Since last week my internet connection keeps on dropping. After a couple of days of this frustrating phenomena, we made a big complaint to the ISP provider. A couple of days later they sent a technician to investigate the problem and rerouted the telephone line to some gadget that he brought along. After pressing some buttons on the gadget he concluded that there is some problem with the ports at their end and if it is not the ports then the telephone line.

Off he went and after an hour or so we got a call from him to check out the connection because he had changed the ports at his end. After several try we were still not able to get any connection at all. The conclusion then was some thing to do with the line and he promised to get it done the nextday. Now we totally cannot get any connection at all :(

The nextday only in the late evening the ISP provider people came in a group to check the line physically and some things were replaced. After that we tried to get a connection but it failed so once again they hook up their gadget to test. The conclusion, my ADSL modem is dead. :'(

It was late and we had to quickly rushed to the nearest computer store to get a new modem before the closed so that we can get connected ASAP. :) Hook it up, configure it and Thank God we are connected again.

I tried hooking up the old modem and I was not able to get connected immediately but after awhile. The connection did not last long either. With the new modem it get connected real fast and it stayed connected. My question here is that is there anyway to actually determine that a modem is functioning properly or not rather than by trial and error.