How to keep extra earth?

Discussion in 'Gardening Other' started by KK Ng, Aug 17, 2016.

1. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Recently I had a windfall and got 3 wheelbarrows full of good top soil from one of my neighbour who did some extension to his house. The problem is I have no idea how to store it. My first thought was to just dump it into a pile and use it when I need it but this is not possible when space is a luxury here. So I decided to store them in empty pots and have it covered so that when it the rains it will not get washed. Another point of consideration is that the pots are in direct sunlight everyday and since it is covered it is just a matter of time the would be completely dry.

I hope I've made the right decision.

2. Loading...

3. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

Geez KK Ng that is a unique problem. Storing the earth in pots is a good idea too.

Would there be any possibility you could add raw veggie material or something that would decompose in layers to this earth (and let it get wet) so that it would start a composting process? (Although usually you have to layer earth and keep it wet and warm and turn it too. Just trying to think of a way you could actually be making MORE earth with the earth you now have ;) )

carolyn likes this.
  4. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Fabulous advise. or a large trash can drill a few holes in the bottom for drainage (just in case) and don't completely fill it then toss your composty stuff in and recover it...

5. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Thanks Islandlife. No it would not be possible to add raw veggie material or something that would decompose in layers to this earth because I do not have enough of it. Right mow they go into the compost bin.

Thanks Carolyn, I do not wish to add anything further to my garden because of space limitation and I already have 2 compost bins.

I think they will be used up soon as more than half of it is used as potting soil after adding lots of compost to it. I think I'll dump the remainder into the veggie beds after they are vacant because there is not enough earth in them.

Islandlife likes this.