How to keep squirrels away from my birdseed stands?

Discussion in 'Wildlife in the Garden' started by mary ann kassab, Jun 1, 2009.

1. mary ann kassab

mary ann kassab New Seed

My husband has gotten into setting up bird feeders so the cat and kitten can sit at the window and they can watch the birds together. Unfortunely, the squirrels are managing to eat all of the bird seed before my husband gets home from work and/or before he can see any birds. Now I like squirrels but they can take may birdseed and their fat little cheeks back to their winter homes and go find food for storage somewhere else. Please tell me how to keep these little buggers from climbing my birdseed stands. Any idea is graciously accepted, I lived right beside the woods so there is plenty of food for them there, believe me.

I actually made a mistake when I put up my problem for my problem with "chipmunks". I made a mistake a typed squirrels. I need help keeping the "chipmunks" away. They fill thier little cheeks up to where they look like they are bout to burst. I think they could find enough food in the woods which we live right beside. Any one else that reads this - note- I meant "chipmunks" not squirrels.

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Squirrels will eat what is handy and not stop until it is all gone. And keeping them away from the feeders is an age old hope of many gardeners who feed the birds.

Try filling your feeders with Safflower seeds. Squirrels will not eat them but almost all birds do.

4. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

In my pergola feeding area where we hang our feeders from, I use squirrel proof feeders. They work great. I do like squirrels so I feed them on the tray feeder. I buy stripped sunflower seeds just for them to enjoy...When I lived in the country I used to have over 12 of them and we enjoyed watching them play all the time..We have always had special places where they could go. Maybe if you had a certain area for them, they would leave your feeders alone or maybe they are in the habit of raiding them already..Squirrel proof is a little more expensive but well worth the money..Good Luck..