How to kill Bindweed / Getting rid of Bindweed

Discussion in 'Plant Pests, Diseases and Weeds' started by Crazy Orchid Lady, May 31, 2006.

1. Crazy Orchid Lady

Crazy Orchid Lady Seedling

My yard is being overrun :'( :'( :eek: with bindweed. Its taken over everything. I hate the thought of pulling it as it just leaves the roots to grow back. I WILL use ANY chemicals (napalm???) to get rid of it if someone has suggestions. I'm desparate - I mowed my yard yesterday and over 2/3 of it is bindweed.

Do you think hot vinegar would maybe work?? I'm leary of using that because I don't want to kill my other plants (ie my strawberries, grass, etc.)

Help please??? :(

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

COL this is a post I put on the forums some time ago as I have a problem with binweed too. :( I wouldn't use hot vinegar as it might leech into the soil. It could easily affect plants that you don't want to be damaged or killed.

http://www.gardenstew.com/about46.html

4. Pianolady

Pianolady In Flower

I've been battling bindweed in my big flower garden, it's horrible. I've made good progress this year using roundup and diligent daily pulling. Whatever you do, don't till it, never let it flower, and get it out of your yard (aka the dump), don't ever put it in a compost pile.

I've had decent sucess with an initial application of roundup, and now I'm concentrating on depriving it by pulling every stinkin' one of them out of the ground. It's been surprisingly successful in the garden. I'm trying to starve it to death by allowing no foilage above ground. Compared to years' past, it's working great.

In grassy areas, I've heard a fall application of Trimec will help, but I've never been too impressed with the results myself. Others say 2-4-D does the trick, & you can spot spray with it. I'm not sure there is any such thing of eradication, but control is possible. I can think of no other weed that is more obnoxious!

Frank likes this.
  5. Crazy Orchid Lady

Crazy Orchid Lady Seedling

Thanks everyone! I like the idea of using a soda bottle to contain the spray and burn them. With our Colorado sun it should be fairly easy to do so - my yard will just look a little weird for a while with all the soda bottle placed all over!

Thanks again everyone, I'll let you know how it turns out.

Advertisement
  6. LoreD

LoreD New Seed

You could get one of those weed torches. I saw one in the Lee Valley catalog for about $40. It has a little propane tank and a little torch on it. You place the little flame directly over the weed and it says that it will nuke it all the way down the root. Since the flame is small it will only do the weed and not the surrounding area.

LoreD

7. Primsong

Primsong Young Pine

I was considering getting one of these too, the little blowtorches for weeds. It seems like it would be a good "spot zapping" method that doesn't put anything into the soil or surrounding plants.

I spent part of yesterday trying to yank out a batch of [info=morning glory]morning-glory[/info] that is trying to take over the raised planters at our church. What a mess. Maybe I'll just fry them.

8. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

Well I guess different areas has different colors , as the picture
    has white blooms and ours around
    here they are a wine.This is the same plant .Oh know Its everywhere here .
    I pull it up and its back to soon.I now know why.Thanks all.

9. Merivel

Merivel New Seed

Bindweed mites!!!

So I hope and can make all of your days today...

Bindweed mites eat bindweed! "A sufficient infestation of mites will stunt growth, reduce seed production and eventually kill the bindweed."

Best of all, unless you are growing some ornamental morning glory, they don't seem to bother eating anything else. :-D

In Colorado you can get mites for free by visiting this website and calling their number (in case the link should stop working their number is 866-324-2963):

http://www.northfortynews.com/Archive/A ... ngBind.htm

I bet other states have similar programs if you do a little research.

I've just ordered some and will have to wait til the spring to let you know how it goes...

Good luck all!

Merivel

10. jubabe296

jubabe296 Official Garden Fairy

Glendann I think the bindweed is the light purple wild morning glories we have!! They cover the sides of OSR(a road in our area)The climb on all the fences and anything else their little tendrils can grab hold of!! I don't really have a problem with it, but I've seen it in other people's yard like COL was talking about in hers! COL I do hope you find a solution to get rid of it!!

11. deadlyart

deadlyart New Seed

bind weed is so invasive in my garden too I never put any of it on my compost heap else it will grow from there. really the best way to kill it other than a systemic weed killer is to pull all the roots that you can out and just keep on doing it. I wish you luck as it likes to lie deep and you will be at it for a while but eventually you will win. some of my roots have been about 2inches in diam but most are bootlaces

12. Pianolady

Pianolady In Flower

I've come to the conclusion it's something that will never go away, since it's all through the area, not just my property. Keeping it under control is my only goal. One of the neighbors lets it grow up and flower every year. Another neighbor just lets it grow under his shrubs, so even if I eradicate it temporarily, it'll find its way back. Oh well....there's worse things I guess. Got a blow torch thing to burn all the weeds when I can! That's pretty satisfying. :D