How to setup a 410 sq. ft studio apartment (floor plan incl)

Discussion in 'Interior Design' started by Samm, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Samm

Samm New Seed

Hey guys,

I will be moving to a 410 sq ft. studio apartment in a couple of weeks and I was wondering how would I go about setting it up for maximum space and efficiency. I will be living alone and renting. I'm not taking any furniture with me and so will be buying everything once I'm there.

This is the original floor plan:
    [​IMG]
    Original floor plan ( photo / image / picture from Samm's Garden )

This is what I've come up with so far:
    [​IMG]
    Edited floor plan ( photo / image / picture from Samm's Garden )

All the furniture is to scale based on furniture that I've picked out from Walmart/Amazon. I'm a student so won't be buying anything too expensive as I don't need anything particularly long lasting because I'll be moving in 3 years anyways.

Thanks for any advice.

2. Carpentry

Carpentry New Seed

Suggestions

I think you've done a great job. Instead of a curtain divider, why not try one of those wood dividers with all the nooks from Ikea? It would serve two purposes. If you're living alone, do you need all that living room space?

3. Kwik Picture Framing

Kwik Picture Framing New Seed

I think with the space you've got you've done pretty well to be honest. I presume the area bottom right is a workstation where you're going to do your college work etc.?

To divide the bed from the room why not look in some antique / junk shops for the kind of vanity screens that you see in the old movies.

I'm not saying this particular one (or even style) but being movable it might offer a bit more flexibility.

[​IMG]
    Vanity screen ( photo / image / picture from Kwik Picture Framing's Garden )

4. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Yeah, I was thinking a screen too. Or even better because it would give you more storage, several bookshelves. They don't even have to be that tall...and freestanding, tall bookshelves would be a bit wobbly I would think. But you just want something to visually separate the sleeping area from the living area right? So some waist high bookshelves on top of which you could put a matching display of tall vases with dried arrangements in them, to add height to the division.

Another thought is to make the TV stand and the TV the divider, and put it on a lazy-susan type stand so that you can swing it back and forth between the "bedroom" and the living room, and watch TV in either place. Then you can get an L shaped couch and put that in the corner where the desk is, and put the desk where you'd placed the TV.

And finally, I'd scale down the bed to a full size so you have room for a small night stand. Personally it would drive me crazy to have no light by the bed, and no place to put my book, chapstick, lotion...all the things I use when I'm in bed.