How to start maple seed?

Discussion in 'Trees, Shrubs and Roses' started by cuatro-gatos, May 18, 2012.

1. cuatro-gatos

cuatro-gatos In Flower

I found a single winged seed, pretty sure it's from some sort of maple tree. What would be the best way to start this seed? I read that some seeds need
    stratification of some sort to germinate. Since I'm in So. California, really cold weather is not typical. Should I peel the papery "wing" off of the seed or plant as is?
    Thanks in advance for any info.

moderator's note: added a more descriptive title to topic

2. Loading...

3. lukeypukey

lukeypukey In Flower

the last time i bought some maple seeds the wing was cut off . . . as for stratification . . im not 100% if all maple seeds need this, i know alot of the japanese maples do . . . i found field maple seeds this year germinating in the gaps of a beer garden pub table

4. Coppice

Coppice In Flower

If I wanted a maple seedling, I would insert just the tip of the maple wing into a pot with quick draining soil.

This does sort of predicate that, your seed has not been dried, and its new residence has roughly the same winter chilling hours as where the tree lived.

It (the seed) will sit dormant till next spring.

I have to wonder if your are planting in a zone equal to this trees home range. Moving it to where there is not its needed winter chilling hours means your seedling will wither over time.

If none of you neighbors have maples, you might not either.

5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I do not know about that either, 4-G. The maple seeds here germinate with abandon.
    I do not know what type that you have, but if you want to give it periods of cold (as with Meconopsis seeds), then one or two weeks in the fridge may work. You could try that method once or twice, with at least a week in-between on a sunny windowsill.

Good luck with this seed...and please do keep in touch with its progress.

6. cuatro-gatos

cuatro-gatos In Flower

Thank you all for your input.
    I will let you know if anything sprouts.