How to Transplant a Snake Plant?

Discussion in 'Houseplants' started by Edlou8181, Jun 9, 2013.

1. Edlou8181

Edlou8181 Seedling

First off friends I repotted my Wandering Jews and I hope they come back.
    But that is not why I'm here.
    I have what is what I call a Snake Plant that has been in the same container for YEARS.
    It keeps growing and so far no problems.
    First off I know it needs to be transplanted,but I have NO idea how to do this AND all the larger pots I've seen are the ceramic pots with NO drain holes.
    So I come hat in hand for your help.
    Thanks in advance.
    ed

[​IMG]
    I think its potbound!!!!!!!! ( photo / image / picture from Edlou8181's Garden )

moderator's note: added a more descriptive title to topic
    moderator's note: moved topic to more appropriate forum

2. Loading...

3. TheBip

TheBip Young Pine

I repotted (and divided!) my snake plant last year. Now I have 3 ;) I just did it like any other plant. Ive always taken the "do it and see what happens" approach...its worked pretty well for me :)

4. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Most nurseries or plant centers in the big box stores or wally world carry a variety of larger plastic containers... with drainage holes. Even the dollar stores carry some.
    And then get you a bag or potting soil. Fill the bottom of the new container with it. How deep? Depends on how much bigger it is than the container you have now.
    Then water that new soil so it settles down. You may have to add more to get the level right. If it's a little too much, don't worry, you can spread it out to the sides to make a "hole" for the plant.
    Here's the tricky part. You'll have to take the snake plant and turn it upside down and tap the bottom of the pot until it comes out. You can also gently tug on it to coax it to come out. Sometimes watering before-hand can make this easier... but can also get a little messy.
    Or if it's really root bound, you might have to cut away the old pot. If so, you'll also have to try to "pry" the roots apart some to give them a chance to spread out in their new soil.
    Then just put the plant in the new pot and add soil around the outside gently pressing it down until it's filled the pot... but not all the way to the top... leave at least two inches below the rim. Then give it a good watering. You may have to add a little more soil.
    But that's it... really no different than potting/repotting any other plant.
    I bet your plant will love you for it! Good luck!

Frank likes this.
  5. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Edlou8181, I saw that your Snake Plant needed a new pot along time ago. It's ok, sometimes that's to your advantage because it can force it to bloom or make babies to continue it's line. Eventually ya gotta do it.

Glad you repotted the Wandering Jew. He will be happy with you.

Plastic or clay or whatever....I would never use a pot without holes. It's too risky to have it be over watered.

Advertisement
  6. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

I have one of those, but a baby. I got it from a former roommate who had a huge one and when she repotted it she literally just broke off a small chunk of the root with a few spikes, and gave it to me to repot which I did, and it's thriving.

I'm familiar with the plant from earlier too, friends who've had them etc. But I've never heard it called a Snake Plant. The only name I've ever heard it called is a Mother-In-Law plant.....because it's SO hardy that you can never get rid of it! :stew2:

7. cherylad

Ronni... I've always heard it was called Mother in Laws tongue due to it's toxic nature... something about numbing the mouth if ingested... like you'd want some to shut up your mother in law.
    Or something like that.

8. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

I call em Snake Plant, but have also known them as Mother-in-law plant too. (it's just that I am a Mother-in-law... and I don't think I have a sharp tongue!) :D
    We have one that was Bob's Grandmother's. We took it out of its pot several years ago, and cut it into about 5 plants to re-pot and share with family. They are so easy to grow. I put mine outdoors in summer.

9. Edlou8181

Edlou8181 Seedling

Snake plant

Have read all posts and will be working on plant shortly.
    Only thing that will hold up transplanting is this is the time of year for the blooms to start.
    Nothing so far but I will keep an eye on the plant.
    Thanks again.
    ed

10. cherylad

I didn't realized they bloomed at all. I sure hope you show the blooms to us.

11. Edlou8181

Edlou8181 Seedling

Snakeplant blooms

Friends,thought I'd send a picture of my Snakeplant in bloom last year.
    I think I should wait till it blooms before trying to split up the biggest potbound plant.
    Thanks,
    Ed

[​IMG]
    Snakeplant Bloom ( photo / image / picture from Edlou8181's Garden )

12. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

13. Edlou8181

Edlou8181 Seedling

YES

Toni,mine bloomed last Summer,but nothing so far this year.
    The smell which only smeams only to gret stronger in the evening is so beautiful.
    And yes they do multiply.
    The one I showed has been in that same pot for several years.
    Only time will tell.
    later
    ed

14. Edlou8181

Edlou8181 Seedling

Snake Plant

Toni
    My Snake plant has 3 blooms and even after the storms the plant is doing good,pictures to follow

15. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Well there has got to be one exception to every theory, glad yours is blooming again.
    I am thinking I need to get another one...maybe Friday at Lowe's ;)

16. theficuswrangler

theficuswrangler New Seed

If you have a plant that's root bound and won't come out of the pot, you can run a long knife around the inside of the pot to loosen the roots. That usually works. Also, you should straighten out the roots and pick out some of the soil before you put the plant into a new pot. And make sure the new soil is very free-draining. Add some extra perlite for good measure.