Huge Elephant Ear

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by margie12u, Oct 9, 2013.

1. margie12u

margie12u In Flower

What to do with my huge elephant ear it was so pretty this year and bigger than I ever seen. What is the best thing to do with it? Cut them down and bring in bulb or what? I did that last year, I brought in the plant but it wasn't this big. I need help please. Thank you Margie. I sure hate to cut it back :'(

waretrop and donna in nc like this.
  2. Loading...

3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

If you leave it out there it will freeze and die. Is it in a pot or in the ground? I let the potted plants dry out and bring it into the basement and put it in front of the window for the winter. they are kind of semi-dormant. I have such a hard time getting new bulbs to sprout that I hate to start new ones for the same season. They are never big enough to sell at the cost I have in them and make a profit.

4. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Me envious of margie12u having such a too big Elephant Ear....

:-D very nice...

5. purpleinopp

purpleinopp Young Pine Plants Contributor

I did the same thing with my EE bulb (as well as Cannas and Gladiolus) as Carolyn when I lived in OH. Let it go dormant & put in cool, dark basement, probably won't need water unless it tries to grow new leaves. If you wait until frost ruins the foliage, it seems to be less confusing for the plant, and you don't have to do that scary cutting thing you mentioned.

They are hardy here, but frost ruins the foliage. When it warms back up, they grow bigger and bigger leaves each year. This bulb is the one that used to live in the basement in OH for winter, I've had it for well over a decade now. The yellow thing is a flower.

[​IMG]
    Colocasia esculenta over Strobilanthes dyerianus (Persian shield) ( photo / image / picture from purpleinopp's Garden )

Advertisement
  6. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Let the foliage die back normally, either through going dormant or bitten by frost. The longer the leaves stay on the bulb the more energy the bulb is storing for next years growth.

purpleinopp likes this.
  7. margie12u

margie12u In Flower

Elephant Ears

Hello every one, I'm about ready to have a trauma over this crazy elephant ear, Last year I brought it in, but it wasn't this big, I don't have a corner to put it in this year, Wayne has taken my flower room for his cb radios, So now I have to put them any where I can, It's in the ground, I would love to keep a leaf or two on it, But i know I have to bring it in, The problem is I have 4 of them, Now where to put them. :-? I already have all my hens and chicks in the house someone sent me,Thats about 7 pots of them for next spring to put out. Don't get me wrong I love all of my stuff , I do but it's like I can't get enough, Crazy huh!! Is anyone out there a flower piggy to? I guess what I have to do is cut them and and put them in a pot and see what happens,Was that your elephant ear that had the yellow flower on it? I didn't know they had flowers on them. Ok can I ask one more question please? What about my passion plant vine can I dig it up and move it, It also got huge this year to , I cut it back late summer and it came back bigger and bloomed again to. :-? My flower beds are looking pretty bad since I'm digging everything up, I love the beauty that God give us through flowers and trees, and hard work. I'm sorry I have went on so, But I am in love with my elephant ears, I know I need a doctor, a head doctor LOL !! Thank you all so much. Margie

8. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

My elephant ear and passion flower die back with the first frost. Of course our ground doesn't freeze... so they come back in the spring with no problems.