Hummingbirds are funny...

Discussion in 'Bird' started by fatbaldguy, Jul 23, 2011.

1. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy In Flower

This morning I was sitting in the heat on the deck having some coffee. A Ruby Throat came to the feeder at the edge of the deck, sat at the feeder for a few seconds and then buzzed right up to my face, just inches away in fact, and then back to the feeder, then back up to my face.

The missus usually takes care of the feeders. I checked and all of them were dry.

I rather think the little fellow was telling me to get off my duff and take care of business. :oops: :-D

Frank likes this.
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. mart
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. marlingardener
      Replies:
      Views:

3. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Yep... I believe you are right. :D
    Great story.

4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Yep, I think that is exactly what he was doing.
    There used to be a large Grackle in the backyard who would squawk at me non-stop when I was working out back to remind me the feeder was empty. Soon as I got the message and filled it, he would eat then just sit in the tree watching 'his' territory not making another sound.

5. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

I have had woodpeckers sit on the empty feeder and squawk because no food was available.

Jerry

Advertisement
  6. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Congratulations everyone, we have been trained! Our hummingbirds will do the same to us--give us the eye--when we are on the patio and they need more nectar.

7. gardenelf

gardenelf In Flower

This sounds very familiar!
    I feed the blackbirds in my garden, right now they go through about 1 kilo of raisins a week.
    One female actually follows me around my garden when she wants feeding, another comes and sits on my window ledge and just stares at me until she gets what she wants. Very sweet.

My grandmother had a little robin that would beg for food by pecking at her window. I never really believed it until I saw it for myself!

Those of you who keep chickens, have you ever experienced this kind of behaviour from them? My uncle's chickens ran free in his garden, and would come peck at the kitchen window in the morning if they weren't fed on time. Just as well he only kept 5! :eek: :D

8. Capt Kirk

Capt Kirk Thank a Veteran today!

We line up peanuts on the porch rail and the little table. The bluejays,cardinals, red bellied woodpeckers and titmice zoom in on them.It's really funny to watch the cardinals as they will look at every peanut, looking for the ones that have the piece of dried root on the end of it. They pick it up by the root and take off with it!

9. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

My chickens all run to the gate as soon as I step outside. I can't stride through their yard, I have to step gently and safely around them, they are all under my feet.

10. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Wow! That is an interesting story. What a smart little bird that was.

11. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

great story fbg! we have the same thing here with our hummers...they stare at us through the windows when it's refill time! :D

12. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

I think he is one smart birdie - bet he flew away shaking his head and talked about you to his friends.... "THAT guy..."