Husband and wife or Garden Clean-up Detail?

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by Acquanette, May 30, 2020.

1. Acquanette

Acquanette New Seed

I left these two alone... the striped one was carrying the pale one, maybe . As I think about it maybe the pale one isn’t dead. Were they mating? Probably shoulda killed it/them. C4B8207F-E9B9-44E6-8C36-9F8D20203FB4.jpeg

Sjoerd, Frank and Cayuga Morning like this.
  2. Loading...

3. mart

mart Strong Ash

Na !! Just leave them alone ! They don`t hurt your garden and may keep bad bugs away ! Spiders are quite helpful !

Sjoerd, Acquanette and Cayuga Morning like this.
  4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Mart is right--just leave the spiders alone. There is even a spider, an argiope, known as "The gardener's friend" because it devours bad bugs. I'm always happy to see one hanging out on its web, waiting for the passing grasshopper! Argiope 7.jpg

5. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

So glad to hear the consensus among us is to leave them be!

Now about those snakes......

Sjoerd, Dirtmechanic and Acquanette like this.

Advertisement
  6. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Snakes? Cayuga, I respect them and keep hands off. A neighbor killed every snake he saw on his property (and even offered to come over here and shoot snakes--guess what kind of reception that got!). Then he was complaining about being overrun by mice, voles, rabbits, and other small critters. Well, gee, what do you think the major part of a snake's diet is?
    On the two or three occasions when we have had a snake in the chicken coop, going after eggs, I take the "snake grabber", remove the snake, and take it to the field after giving it a good scolding. Since snakes don't have ears, I think the scolding is more for my benefit than the snake's.

Sjoerd, Dirtmechanic and Acquanette like this.
  7. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

MG I feel the same way as you about snakes. Helpful creatures.

Sjoerd, marlingardener and Acquanette like this.
  8. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

In my area which is a coastal semi desert, nearly all snakes are poisonous, (I have never in my life come across a snake which wasn't deadly).

Snakes over here are:

Desert Cobras, not the spitting venom kind, (as that's the African bush Cobra). But still enough to very quickly kill a big horse.

Black Mambas, not at all indigenous to this area. But some genius was illegally keeping them as exotic pets until they bit and killed him, (if I remember the story correctly), then escaped. They are now said to be breeding in sewers.

Krait, which too are highly poisonous desert sbakes. And like all other diamond shape headed snakes, these too have excellent stereoscopic vision. So when they attack, they never ever miss...

Leaf Nosed Viper, another desert dweller which is a small jumper and tree climber, (locally known as snake of the bush). It's favorite food is sparrow eggs. Even the babies of this type of snake are extremely poisonous. They kill your pet cats and Dogs.

I am all for environmental preservation. I am actually enjoying all the news reports we are seeing today, regarding COVID-19 - Where people are inside during the lockdown. While animals and birds are enjoying outside.

But when it comes to snakes in my territory. I can't let any single one of them live... No I am not an encroacher into their territory. This area is reclaimed land from the ocean. So snakes are the invaders, as I came here first!!!

Last edited: May 31, 2020
    Acquanette likes this.
  9. Acquanette

Acquanette New Seed

Well I’m glad I remembered spiders are our friends except I don’t care what anyone says, a Black widow gets no reprieve from me. And snakes? Only little green garden snakes are allowed to trespass. Otherwise...DEATH!

S-H likes this.
  10. Acquanette

Acquanette New Seed

grasshoppers? I’ve seen what appeared to be fairy grasshoppers! So tiny that I almost miss them! Should they DIE too?
    45DB383F-E7BE-45D4-ABBB-61544E8C172A.jpeg 0C83C9EA-F731-4312-850F-862F73F928B6.jpeg
    Is this a grasshopper or something else? Very small. Less than 1/4 inch.

11. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic Young Pine

HaHa I had this vision of the snakes telling their buddies about your sharp tongue!

I need more lizards.
    b0bbf67.jpg

Acquanette likes this.
  12. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

Never in my entire life have I ever seen anything which can be called a harmless garden snake... Yes I can see videos and pictures over the internet - But in my personal experience, snakes are deadly, ultra aggressive, and always steaming mad with rage. You see them anywhere, and it's either you or them.

Maybe it's my harsh environment which has caused snakes to become like that. But further up country where it is mostly either forestland or mountains - There also, only poisonous snakes exist!

And right here at the Arabian Sea coastline. There are sea snakes too. Each one said to be anywhere from 3 to 10 times more poisonous then any snake of land!v Even big camels roaming around at the beach will die very quickly if they got bitten.

Thankfully, because of population and unfortunately pollution too - As well as an oil spill from a tanker in the ocean, a lot of the marine life never really returned. So the beach within the city limits is now safe from them. But elsewhere, not so much...

Acquanette likes this.
  13. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Jane that spider is an Orb Weaver....ever see the movie Charlotte's Web? They create a fairly large web every evening, catch all sorts of flying and some crawling pests in them, wrap them up for meals later and in the early morning they take down the web by 'sucking' it back into their body. Never kill a Charlotte they have no mouth to bite anything with, they do have a long suction device that they use to drain the critters caught in their webs.

Acquanette and S-H like this.
  14. mart

mart Strong Ash

Snakes here just get relocated to the woods across the road ! Most here are harmless,, only 4 in the US are of the poisonous variety ! Just know what they are and leave the rest alone ! Coral snake, Copperhead, Moccasin, and Rattle Snake ! Wouldn`t want them around the house but even they deserve a place in the environment !

Sjoerd, marlingardener and S-H like this.