hvac repair/ replaced?

Discussion in 'Home Improvement, DIY and Repair' started by dawg803, Oct 24, 2011.

1. dawg803

dawg803 New Seed

Hello! I think that I am going to have to get my HVAC system replaced.. does anyone have any idea how much this normally costs? I am looking into having a heating and air charlotte nc company do it but I would like to know what the average cost is so I know if their quote is reasonable or not. Thanks!

2. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Hi Dawg, I would recommend you get several quotes and ask around for references of reliable companies in your area. We could all tell you what we think it ought to cost and depending on where we live, those quotes may vastly vary. hvac quotes will also depend on the size of your house. so none of may have a reliable "normal" cost. A small house of 1200sq ft or a large house of 5,000 sq ft? 2 ton, 3 ton, single phase triple phase? gas furnace or electric? I think there are a lot of factors involved, just make sure you get an apples to apple quote. Tell them EXACTLY what you are looking for and have them all quote the same thing.

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

When companies give out names for references, they are not the unhappy customers that you'll talk to! Try Angie's List. No one there has an ax to grind, and all the reviews of companies are by unsolicited customers.
    Our electric company does an energy audit, which includes the size/capacity/type of heating/cooling unit that would work best for your house. They don't recommend brands or installers. You might ask if your utility company does something comparable.

4. Karrma

Karrma In Flower

Definitely get your local utility company involved in helping with ideas, they may even have some rebates locally or federally (this can vary year to year, so check on when laws run out, it may be better to get this year or in 2012 depending on some rules.
    Also, you can get too big as well as too small of a heating/air conditioning unit, so size of house, what temperature range for both the heating and cooling will be, are important. Figure out about what size you will need, and what heating or cooling capacity.
    Then ask for bids, getting their recommendations, and if the recommendations don't jibe, find out why.

Advertisement
  5. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

When you get a quote have them explain the process step by step. It will help you compare the quotes later without wondering if the quotes contain comparable work.

Jerry

6. Evil Roy

Evil Roy In Flower

There are a couple of things to remember. First, be specific with the quote. There's a formula that shows what size unit you need for your house. The AC company will (for instance) tell you that you need a 2.5 ton (tonnage is a way to specify the cooling power, not the actual weight, and is equivalent to 12,000 BTU's) air conditioner for your square footage. The installed unit will have a 2.5 ton outside unit, but a 2 ton inside unit. Make them show you that they match. The next thing to remember is that their charts show the minimum required cooling, not the optimum. If you add a ton to their tables you'll get better cooling and greater efficiency for just a few dollars more. The salesman may tell you horror stories about high humidity and other problems, but I've oversized the AC here and several of my friends have done the same. There have never been any problems.

7. SusieQ07

SusieQ07 In Flower

I don't think dawg is talking about AC, to me HVAC is home vacumn system or central vac..which I have and love!! wondering why replacement is needed? ours has twin motors, one gave out and so hubby replaced it..works great again...

8. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Susie, HVAC stands for Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning.

9. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Dawg mentioned a heating and air company in his state that he was looking into. A central vacuum system would be great, but I think he's working with air conditioning and heating his house. Cleaning will come later!

10. SusieQ07

SusieQ07 In Flower

Okay..very possible..I know for sure if time comes for our AC to be replaced for sure it will be a Trane..can't stop a trane, this one is in 15 yrs. had one repair,a relay switch no big deal and this is SW FL...had tranes in all our homes NP's