hydrogen peroxide

Discussion in 'Water Gardening' started by donna in nc, May 21, 2013.

1. donna in nc

donna in nc In Flower

to clean algae and junk out of your pond I tried it and it works cleared my pond water up nicely I have no fish but read that it would not hurt them as it turns to oxygen after it pumps through

2. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Yes. That is a good remedy for ponds if you have string or suspended algae. Use a pint for every 1000 gallons. Contrary to what you think, in small ponds it could damage fish. It is advised to remove the fish temporarily until clear and then put them back in. Large ponds it shouldn't hurt the fish. Once the algae is killed you should try to net as much out as you can or you will have an excess amount of organic decomposition.

When hydrogen peroxide hits the water it turns to oxygen and salts.

I would never want to put something out on the internet that MAY do harm to others ponds, plants, or pets. Play it safe for many people read stuff here and repeat it other places on the internet.

3. donna in nc

donna in nc In Flower

sorry I read it somewhere else I didn't mean any harm

4. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

No harm donna in nc. I think if someone is going to read this topic, they should realize there is more than one opinion. That's what makes this place good.....

You don't even have to think about the fish for you stated that you don't have any but someone may not realize that and it just needed to be clarified.

You actually did nothing wrong. I had forgotten all about that remedy after all these years.