Hyla versicolor, It’s not easy being green or grey.

Discussion in 'Wildlife in the Garden' started by Jerry Sullivan, Sep 15, 2014.

1. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

For most of the summer, the grey tree frog spends its time in the leaf canopy. Only the mating cycle and hibernation will find the frog on terraferma. Now the nights are getting into the 40’s and this female grey frog is spending the day on a daylily leaf. Tonight will probably find her on the ground in search of a hibernaculum. This is where, as the nights get below freezing, she will spend the winter partially frozen with only vital organs protected by a glucose antifreeze. The frozen frog may stop breathing and its heart may stop beating till the spring temperatures again rise above freezing and it resumes its arboreal lifestyle.
    [​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Jerry Sullivan's Garden )

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Jerry Sullivan's Garden )

Jerry

2. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Jerry I love those little tree frogs. We have the green ones and some of them are grey not sure why. Here is a pic of one on our upper deck sunning it self. They are so cute. This one looks rather grumpy and not very cute at all. But they really are.

[​IMG]
    Tree Frog sunning itself. ( photo / image / picture from Tooty2shoes's Garden )

:stew1:

Henry Johnson, carolyn and 2ofus like this.
  3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Well Jerry I do have frogs in the garden but, needless to say, no tree frogs. They seem to be really amazing little creatures from what you've told us. Thanks for sharing your knowledge and your photograph.

4. Jerry Sullivan

Tree frogs are able to change color/colour depending on the background. The green daylily leaf has the frog green. Though not as fast as a chameleon they adapt to keep hidden from predators.

[​IMG]
    Where is the nearest tree? ( photo / image / picture from Jerry Sullivan's Garden )
    [​IMG]
    Visitor ( photo / image / picture from Jerry Sullivan's Garden )

If they end up on a glass door after crossing a brown deck you get to photograph both sides. :)

Jerry

Advertisement
  5. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I envy every one that has frogs. We do have some but they are few and far between. I think it's the cold winters we have here.

6. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Why be gray and green? Look at these colors. :D :D

[​IMG]

carolyn and Tooty2shoes like this.
  7. Beeker

Beeker In Flower

I hear the tree frogs, but never see them.
    Boy, are they noisy little critters! For such a tiny frog, they sure have a BIG voice!

8. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

My grandson would LOVE all these frogs.....he calls them "grogs" for some reason! :)

9. Jerry Sullivan

I once heard a tree frog loudly peeping away in a bush as the sun was setting. Standing next to the bush the sound was so loud that I could not locate the peeper. With darkness closing in I gave up and decided to just enjoy the spring sound.

As for the lady on the daylily leaf, she had travelled a few inches to another leaf. Perhaps she is reluctant to give up on summer and is hoping for warmer weather.
    Hmmmm... The soil in the daylily bed is soft maybe she will make her hibernaculum there. :)

[​IMG]
    tree frog ( photo / image / picture from Jerry Sullivan's Garden )

Jerry

Beeker and Tooty2shoes like this.
  10. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

I love hearing them and seeing them. We have them and I just had one of the smallest ones I have ever seen. It had to have been a baby one. It was also sunning himself on a plant. When we moved here about 10 years ago I brought quite a few containers of plants, I accidentally brought one to this house. I was happy to see a friendly face when I watered.

[​IMG]
    Tree Toad ( photo / image / picture from Sherry8's Garden )

Tooty2shoes likes this.
  11. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

I think they make such a unique sound. Our little dog thinks it's a raccoon and barks and growls when she hears them. I guess they do sound like a raccoon. But they sure are cute. :stew1: