I actually got to do some gardening today!

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by jakrum421, Jun 3, 2009.

1. jakrum421

jakrum421 Seedling

I have a young woman that comes to help me on Mondays and Wednesdays. It worked out so well. Both of the little ones were napping and the 2 bigger ones were playing outside. I got to weed out my flower garden and plant a lot of the annuals I had bought last weekend. My garden won't be quite as colorful as past years, but it felt so darn good to be digging in the dirt. I planted some alyssum, zinnias, gerbera daisies, red salvia, and something that my oldest son picked out called gomphrena.

Also, I couldn't find any hanging flowers that I liked for my plant stand. But.... again my oldest son (5 1/2 and a gardener already) decided that we should put a hanging cherry tomato basket there. The plant is completely covered with blossoms and small green fruit. I can't wait to taste those tasty little tomatoes. (If the kids let me get any.)

2. Loading...

3. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Sounds like you (and the kids!) had a great day Julie! :D

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

It's a really wonderfful feeling to be out in the garden planting isn't it?
    It sounds as though your five and half year old son already knows a thing or two about gardening. I hope he gets to try the first fruit that ripens on your tomato plant for having such a great idea for your hanging basket.

5. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

I'm glad you are out and about in the dirt.How is the new little blossom coming along in this ole world?I hope great.
    I think your little gardener had a great idea.

Advertisement
  6. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Sounds like you've got a knowledgeable little man there. :D Isn't it wonderful when the children want to help? I hope you get many days in your garden. Enjoy yourself.

7. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

Sounds like you had a great day...and to have a young gardner is terrific...

8. Gardengirl

Gardengirl Young Pine

I was out in my garden this morning before the rain descended on me :-x It makes you feel good doesn't it to get 'down & dirty' in the garden. How clever of your little budding gardener to come up with the idea of the hanging tomatoes :)