I believe, I believe, I believe... Or, rather, Hope

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by Droopy, Mar 15, 2022.

1. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

I hope spring is here to stay. We've had spring as early as mid-February and as late as mid-May, and everything in between. Some years we've had spring two-three times before it actually decided to remain spring for a bit, and some years we've had spring, then a snowfall, and then summer. Gotta love the coast!

The main reason I believe in spring today is this one, and isn't she a pretty sight:

20220312_151916 (2).jpg

We have plenty of snowdrops, snowflakes, and crocus in our garden.

We also have four different kinds of Hepatica, H. transsilvanica "Eisvogel", H. transsilvanica "Adam", H. nobilis rubra plena, and one H. transsilvanica I'm not certain of. They're small, but they're early, they need limey soil and special care, but it's worth it because I love to see their cute faces in spring:

20220314_161220.jpg

The white Heloniopsis orientalis was a new arrival last year. Not my doing, a friend bought two because she wanted me to have one. They're small so I managed to find a spot for it. We've had the purple one in our garden for years, and I could divide it last year. I've never done anything to make it thrive. I guess our acid soil and changing weather is similar to its native Japanese growing condition.

Both Haquetia are supposed to grow in shade under trees, but this is coastal Norway, and other people's semi-shade is more often than not our full sun. They may not be big and showy, but I really like their sunny-yellow middle. The "Thor" has decorative, variegated leaves later in the season, so he's a better choice than the species if you go looking for these:

20220315_185757.jpg

And the Helleborus! They've made good speed during this nice, sunny, warmish weather we've had. The pure white one is from my mother's garden. This is the first year it blooms for us, but it was worth waiting for. The red one is an Ice 'n Roses red. It's tall for a Helleborus, up to 50-60 cm, and has shiny, big leaves, so it's decorative even without blooms:

20220315_185706.jpg

I counted Helleborus yesterday. We have 44 or 45. Many of them are similar since I brought home all in my mother's garden and already had a lot growing here. I need to photograph and tag them so I know which ones I can dig out and put up for adoption.

Cayuga Morning, Netty, Frank and 6 others like this.
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Tooty2shoes
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Droopy
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Oh what a super posting. I can’t tell you how much I enjoy this flower thread of yours. You have an unusually large collection of all sorts of plants, the unusual and the common. In fact I do not personally know anyone with such an extensive collection.
    Thanks a mil for these wonderful piccies.

4. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

@Droopy, thank you for posting. I've never seen or even heard of Haquetia or Heleniopsis. Or Hepatica. Lovely flowers. I do have some Hellebores here. None are as lovely as yours :stew1:. They are beautiful!

Is this an "H Garden"? I have some Hyacinths and Hyacinthoides...

Droopy likes this.
  5. Droopy

@Sjoerd, thanks for the compliment. I've been at it for years, you know, concentrating on perennials and bulbs. I like the weird plants with charm more than showiness, and my husband likes the showy ones, so between us we have picked a wide range. I've started to plant shrubs, slow-growing trees and minis now. They're less demanding to maintain. We also need variety to have blooms in the garden most of the year.

@Daniel W, thanks! The blue Hepatica nobilis is native to northern Europe, but not allowed to dig up and plant in a garden here in Norway. We don't need to either since there's a large selection of cross-breeds of different colours out there. I don't think your climate would suit many of the plants we grow here. I mean, you have fig trees! I need an orangery for that.

I think our garden is an F- at the moment since I fail completely at rearranging plants to my satisfaction. The Anemone nemorosa are on their way up, so I might advance to A-garden soon.

Cayuga Morning, eileen and Sjoerd like this.

Advertisement
  6. mart

mart Strong Ash

They are all lovely !

Cayuga Morning and Droopy like this.
  7. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Absolutely beautiful!
    Love love love those Helleborus!

Cayuga Morning and Droopy like this.
  8. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Lovely lovely photos!

Droopy and Sjoerd like this.
  9. Droopy

Thanks all! We've been on a two-day trip, and things happening really fast in our garden now. Lots of new blooms, a couple of early migratory bird arrivals, and hopefully more insects.

Cayuga Morning and Sjoerd like this.
  10. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

These are so beautiful Droopy, and the big bumble is fabulous! He would be an exciting sight to see. Wonderful photo.:stew1:

Droopy and Cayuga Morning like this.
  11. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

It's amazing how just two days can make such a difference once the garden begins to pop.

Droopy likes this.
  12. Droopy

Thanks, @Melody Mc.. The big mother bumble bees are a very welcome sight in spring. Don't know how they're doing now, with the snow and frost we suddenly got.

It is, @Cayuga Morning.Unfortunately two days also turned my spring garden into winter garden, but now I can look forward to our second spring this year, lol.