I bought to many Daylilies !!!

Discussion in 'Daylily' started by kuntrygal, Jun 6, 2009.

1. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

Here is my list (some of the names were hard to read, but I think I have them right):

Chicago Ruby

Coral Seedling

Collectors Choice

Daring Deception

Double Persimmon

Gold Embrodiery

Metaphor

Mission Impossible

Paper Butterfly

Step by Step

On my way to get some more potting soil and planters and will plant this afternoon. I hope they all live.
    Question??? Do I plant all the roots of the plant in one clump of do I seperate them? Does that crazy question even make sense?

Hope I made good choices!

2. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Wow what a haul....now colors please? I can guess at Ruby, Coral, Persimmon and Gold, what are the other colors.

Did you buy them as bare bulbs or in pots? If the bulbs come apart easily then you can plant them separately but I would leave together the ones that you would have to break apart to separate them. But then I'm not that familiar with Lily bulbs so Sharon will probably give you a more definitive answer ;)

3. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Congratulations on your great purchases, kuntrygal. You can never have too many daylilies. :D

As toni said, if the roots are easily separated, then divide them up and plant them together, but with space between each little plant. That way you'll get an impressive clump very fast.

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I knew you couldn't stop at buying just one ot two!!! ;) I can hardly wait to see what colours they all are when they flower for you. I'd love to be there helping you to plant them all out.

Advertisement
  5. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

Ooh, I am so excited for you! I can't wait to see what you do with them all. What kind of planters did you find for them?

6. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

Toni - A lot of them didn't have a picture showing the color. So I will have to wait and be surprised or google them. They are the bare roots and look like most of them can be seperated easily.

Eileen - Come on ... I'll wait for you to help! :D

DB - No fancy planters, just some that I had. When I see the colors, I may think about trying to get a planter that compliments the Lily.

Droopy - I may be hooked for sure. When they opened the gates this morning, it was like a stampede. People grabbing and pushing! :rolleyes:

7. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

I'm with Droopy- you can never have too many!!! Wish I could have gone with you. That sounds like my kind of shopping!! :p

8. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

Deanna, I will let you know next year when they have the sale and you can plan a trip!! :D It was awesome. I have always seen the ads for the sale, but never paid much attention to it. I will mark my calender from now on!

Toni - I did google the names of a few. Metaphor is lavender. How did I ever get so lucky???? :p :p

Many of the other names didn't come up, so I don't know what I really have! :rolleyes: The growers around here, get their own lilies ready and tie a colored band of some kind around them to determine price, along with the name. Greens were $3.00, Pink was $4.00 and Orange was $5.00. Then all the money goes back into the East Texas Daylily Growers Assoc.

Maybe Sharon will be familiar with the names and can tell me the colors.

They will be in containers...do they need full sun all day or what? And what about watering?

Will they bloom next year or will it take a year for them to establish themselves and surprise me? :p

9. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Sounds wonderful! I wouldn't have been able to stop after just 1 or 2 either ;)

10. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

When I saw the title of your posting, I smiled and punched the air saying, "Way to go"! hahaha
    I agree with Droopy and S'mom: you can never have too many.

You have a good selection there and I think that you are going to be thrilled to bits with them once they get established. :)

11. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

I knew it I knew it .You couldn't put on the brakes once you got near them.I'm proud you got a purple one :)
    I'll be waiting to see what colors bloom.

12. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

Chicago Ruby (MARSH, 1977)
    height 27", bloom 6", season M, Semi-Evergreen, Tetraploid, Red self with green throat. (CHICAGO ROSY X DOUGLAS DALE)

Collectors Choice (MUNSON-R.W., 1991)
    height 28", bloom 6", season EM, Rebloom, Evergreen, Tetraploid, Raisin plum self with yellow green throat. [(ROYAL SARACEN x ENCHANTED EMPRESS) X RUFFLED DUDE]

Daring Deception (Salter, 1994)
    height 24", bloom 5", season EM, Rebloom, Semi-Evergreen, Tetraploid, Pale lavender pink with black purple edge and black purple eyezone above green throat. (DARING DILEMMA X sdlg)

Double Persimmon (DURIO, 1974)
    height 26", bloom 4.75", season EM, Rebloom, Dormant, Tetraploid, Fragrant, Double , Persimmon with Chinese red eyezone and green gold throat. [(UNCLE EARL x KATHLEEN ELSIE RANDALL) X sdlg]

Gold Embroidery (Benz, 1992)
    height 34", bloom 5", season ML, Dormant, Tetraploid, Very Fragrant, Sunshine yellow self with green throat. (YUMA X MATT)

Paper Butterfly (Morss, 1983)
    height 24", bloom 6", season E, Rebloom, Semi-Evergreen, Tetraploid, Cream peach and blue violet blend with blue violet eyezone and green throat. {[(sdlg x CHICAGO TWO BITS) x THAIS] X [(SILVER VEIL x KNAVE) x (CHICAGO MIST x CHICAGO MIST)]}

Gaylyn, I searched the AHS database and found these, I didn't search Metaphor since you know the color. With the hybridizer and the year it was introduced you should be able to find pictures of these, hopefully anyway. They all sound beautiful.

What size pots are you putting them in, that depends on if you want to divide them or not. They have a pretty big root system and need room to make new fans. I can't wait to see them blooming, and yes, you should get flowers next year, and maybe a surprise bloom or two this year.

13. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

OOOH! It is just so exciting to think of!

14. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

Sharon, thank you sooooo much. That was a lot of work. And I really appreciate it. I didn't know about planting, but did google and found that I must have much larger pots. Since I totally went overboard buying of plants, that now calls for another expense. Always something, isn't it?

Glenda - No my brakes failed!!

Sjoerd - I basically 'punched the air' also. Like 'look what I have'. I can't wait for them to start showing me what they are.

DB - I am so excited about my purchase. Pictures will be forthcoming asap!

What else is there to say, except, I have no will power! :-| :-?

15. ssnlaf

ssnlaf New Seed

I have Daring Deception in my collection. I'll enclose a picture of it.

[​IMG]
    Daring Deception Daylily ( photo / image / picture from ssnlaf's Garden )