I have a succulent with brown, dying leaves

Discussion in 'Houseplants' started by statisticsnerd, Aug 11, 2012.

1. statisticsnerd

statisticsnerd New Seed

2. Loading...

3. Clay_22

Clay_22 In Flower

I have this plant don't know what the browning from. I water mine every couple weeks and gets afternoon sun and it's doing great.

4. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

I have this same type of jade plant and occasionally I get those spots too :-? I have no idea, maybe it's just age???

5. theficuswrangler

theficuswrangler New Seed

Do you check the soil moisture all the way to the bottom of the pot every time you water? It looks like the kind of fungus that starts when the plant is weakened from too-wet soil. The soil should be very nearly dry all the way to the bottom of the pot before you put on more water. Also, the leaves should be just starting to soften a tiny bit, rather than be comletely turgid.

stratsmom likes this.

Advertisement
  6. Will Creed

Will Creed New Seed

Ficuswrangler has it right - except for the fungus part. Your Jade Plant is showing signs of root rot, which is not a fungus disease. Does the pot have drain holes? If not, then you can be sure water is collecting in the bottom of the pot. It also looks like the potting soil used is not porous enough and the pot is probably too big. All of these add up to soil that stays moist too long and causes roots to rot and then leaves to turn black and die.

~Will Creed

7. theficuswrangler

Hi Will. Unless you know something about the diseases of crassula that I don't - and that is entirely possible, I grant you - most "root rots" are fungal diseases: phytophthora, pythium, and so on

8. Will Creed

Will Creed New Seed

Hi Ficuswrangler,

Root rot is most commonly caused by an anaerobic condition created by a lack of sufficient oxygen around the roots. Various pathogens may take advantage of that condition, but the real cause is not the presence of the pathogens in the soil, but the lack of oxygen around the roots. I think the distinction is important because if folks thing root rot is caused by a fungus, then they will ignore their watering problem and focus on using fungicides to treat root rot and those are rarely effective.

It is certainly true that the introduction of certain pathogens to the soil can cause root damage, but that typically happens in greenhouse environments, not with houseplants.

I hope that clears up the confusion.

~Will

purpleinopp likes this.
  9. theficuswrangler

Hi Will. You are so right. That's why I always go on about the moisture in the soil, and investigating it all the way through the pot, not just on the surface. As you know, the surface of the soil can feel dry, while the interior where the roots are can be quite wet. And I know many people who have come to grief by using fungicides instead of learning to water correctly. That being said, I think it may be to the point to distinguish between rotting roots, and "root rot." Roots that remain in a too wet condition - anaerobic - to which they cannot adapt will die, and rot away. If the plant has not been invaded by a pathogen, it can often be saved by correcting the watering, repotting, etc. If it HAS been infected by a pathogen, however, such as one of the fungal infections we commonly refer to as "root rot," fixing it may be more problematical. In addition, the various pathogens manifest themselves with differing symptoms. The particular browning on portions of occasional leaves is a sign of a particular pathogen - to know which one I wold have to analyze it in a lab situation. But it doesn't seem to be too bad yet, so the plant may be able to be saved by drying out the soil, watering properly after soil is dried out, and allowing the plants' natural defenses to take over.

10. Will Creed

Will Creed New Seed

Indeed, even when a fungal or bacterial infection is present, it is nearly impossible to ID the particular pathogen by symptoms alone. A lab analysis is the only sure way to do this and that is something that is appropriate for professional growers, but not houseplant owners. The only practical recourse for an ailing houseplant is to make sure that the plant gets proper light and the soil moisture level is appropriate rather than looking to a chemical solution.

~Will

11. theficuswrangler

Amen brother.

12. Mrs. Hankshaw

Mrs. Hankshaw Seedling

My jade was doing the same. I had it in a place where it stayed too humid, I thought I was letting enough time go between waterings I but I guess not. Put it on the front porch to dry out and it's doing well now. I find it's better off away from the plants I water regularly, even the mist that sometimes got to it while watering other plants was too much.