I have Spirea and Mulberry

Discussion in 'Trees, Shrubs and Roses' started by LilyJunkie, May 6, 2010.

1. LilyJunkie

LilyJunkie New Seed

A new discovery everytime I turn around lately. As much as I disliked moving during the Christmas holiday it definitely has it's rewards...seems like the past month has been Christmas.

Yesterday I was told to go out into the front and see a surprise. Woo hoo there it stood a Spirea in bloom.

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from LilyJunkie's Garden )

And a big apology was owed to my hubby. Since last winter I have griped and fussed about a downed tree in the area south of the house and kept asking when we were getting it out of there.

Low and behold I noticed leaves on it last week which means its still alive which means now I battle with myself about killing it. Yesterday I walked over to have a look and was shocked when I recognized the leaves. It's a White Mulberry.

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from LilyJunkie's Garden )

I know a lot of people don't like Mulberry and consider them a nuisance but the birds love them, the kids love them, those pesky little squirrels love them and our Labrador will do anything for a Mulberry reward so those all make it a keeper, for this season anyway.

There is no way we can mow around the base of the trunk and as a result it is loaded with black raspberries....which will make it a birdy paradise in another month.

Not sure what that old trees fate will be come fall but right now the boys are marveling that they will be able to sit on the trunk and bounce up and down to drop berries instead of having the shake a vertical trunk and get pelleted with purple.

2. Loading...

3. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Oooohhh, lucky you! I love my Bridal Wreath Spiraea's :D

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

What a lovely surprise to see that you have a beautiful spirea in your garden. :stew1:
    I hope you can come up with a plan for your mulberry tree. Maybe it will have new little saplings growing underneath it so that you won't lose everything should you have fell it. Do let us know what happens to it come autumn won't you?

5. bsewnsew

bsewnsew Hardy Maple

Thanks for sharing the trees.
    My Spiral Bush is only one year old an is just about to flower. Have 2, but ole man winter broke it up.

Do you know the spirals root easily from cuttings?
    I did one last fall an have it ready to plant soon as we get frostfree. I like to make a line of them..

Will show my mini when it blooms.

b

Advertisement
  6. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

What a great surprise.I love trees that continue to gro after it fall Kevin lives at my moms old place and has a Black Walnut tree down for about 10 yrs and it still produces .

7. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Lovely spirea, and do keep the mulberry tree. I find it quite decorative. :D

8. bsewnsew

bsewnsew Hardy Maple

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Wanna trade your spiral for mine?
    Heres my Josie Lilac too.

b

9. Petronius

Petronius Young Pine

I have worked for a lady who had several spirea bushes around her front porch. What is nice about these bushes is that you can keep the spirea at different heights.