I like The Taste.

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by Philip Nulty, Sep 22, 2016.

1. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

I like trying different foods so when i spotted Kangaroo Steaks and Ostrich Steaks i just had to have a taste,..i didn't expect both meats should taste similar,..dark meat with no fat,..tasted similar to deer Meat,..very tasty.
    IMG_4779.jpg
    IMG_4781.jpg

IMG_4780.jpg
    IMG_4782.jpg
    First time to come across these Doughnut Peaches,..sweeter than the usual and easier to get a mouthful.
    IMG_5368.jpg
    IMG_5369.jpg

2ofus, Sjoerd, Henry Johnson and 2 others like this.
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. EJ
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. EJ
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

I quite enjoy tasting and trying all different foods too. Nothing ventured nothing tasted :)

Philip Nulty likes this.
  4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Ian likes to try different meats but I'm not quite so keen as I have a 'dicky' stomach. I have tried the doughnut peaches though and they are delicious and I don't tend to dribble the juice down my chin so much when I eat them.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  5. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

They sound like things I would like to try!
    Doughnut peaches? The best of both worlds! ;)

Philip Nulty likes this.

Advertisement
  6. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

eileen? Are you a vegetarian? Why would you get a dicky stomach from that meat?

My hubby thinks he gets sick on goat and lamb. He has never been sick on them when I feed him these foods. The reason he doesn't is because I don't tell him he is eating it. Sometimes he talks to someone and tells them he hates something. I smirk and roll my eyes behind him, to who he is talking to, and sometimes say, "he had been eating it for 20 years and loves it every time I make it". Then I let the cat out of the bag and tell him. He is sometimes totally in shock. He has learned, if he is going to tell someone he hates something, he looks at me first and says it with a question mark.

Philip Nulty, I have a "exotic meat market" near me. I only buy my special stuff for a treat because of the price but I can buy anything in there. It is not prepackaged and as fresh as we can get it. That's worth paying the price.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  7. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Haven't tried ostrich or kangaroo, but rattlesnake is pretty tasty! And no, it doesn't taste like chicken, at least any chicken I know.
    Philip, you have an adventurous palate, something to be admired. My husband had a whole list of things he didn't like, mostly because his mother was a terrible cook. Now he has whittled his list down to two things--fried chicken (Kentucky Fried Chicken was every Sunday dinner at her house) and parsnips. I agree with him about parsnips (sorry, Sjoerd!).

Philip Nulty, Sjoerd and carolyn like this.
  8. waretrop

;) :rofl: :rofl:
    marlingardener, I want you to know there are 2 things I just don't like, not for the taste but for the trouble.Crab and rattlesnake. I hate shelling the crab and really hate the bones in the snake. I would hate lobster, my favorite btw, but my hubby shells that for me as a treat.. LOL

Do you realize how much work you have to do just to get that little meat out...??? One day I would like to make rattlesnake without the bones in a special dish. That would cost $100 here, I think... :snicker::snicker:

Philip Nulty likes this.
  9. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Our youngest daughter is an adventurous eater, which is funny since when she was young it was mac n cheese and peanut butter sandwiches or nothing. But now her likes lean more towards things that have to be brought to the oceans surface in large nets of large fishing vessels.....squid and octopus being her favorites.

The Donut peaches, aka Saturn peaches might be easier found in Asian markets in the states. They originate in China, not sure mainstream grocery stores are carrying them yet. In Asian markets look for them under the name of Pan Tao....Pan meaning flat and Tao meaning Peach.

Philip Nulty and marlingardener like this.
  10. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Barb, I can send you some rattlesnake meat, still alive and squirming. How fresh can it get?
    I love crab, but agree that getting at the good part takes a lot of effort--perhaps it's a diet ploy in that you work off more calories than you take in?

2ofus and Philip Nulty like this.
  11. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

No worries, Jane-o.:)

Philip Nulty and marlingardener like this.
  12. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

Years ago in our wee small remote rural village we had wildlife conservation hunter guys who kept ALL animals they had to kill i.e. bear, cougar, elk, deer, sea lion, seals, coyote, wolf etc. during the year. Every December as a Christmas feast all the different meats that were obtained during the year were prepared/cooked. All the different meal dishes were brought to the village hall where we had a community pot luck and were able to taste all the different meats. Elk is #1 however sea lion & seal super greasy. Everything else is in the middle.

13. toni

Oh, I used to get Elk burgers at a bar and grill in Evergreen Colorado, really good meat.

Philip Nulty and Islandlife like this.
  14. waretrop

marlingardener, So you can catch them and dress them and eat them for free.....??? *Am stuck on the floor when I dropped from shock....* Is it expensive packaged in stores???

Philip Nulty likes this.
  15. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Barb, there is a small community near here that holds an annual rattlesnake hunt. You can get rattler burgers, snake kabobs, and other delicacies after the hunt is over. Being a snake respecter, I don't really approve of the hunt, but we went once and I sampled a bit of open pit roasted rattlesnake. Checked that off my bucket list, never to return to the hunt!
    Rattlesnake is not sold in stores here--the wild population is too plentiful, and I don't think that the local health authorities want to inspect the meat, dead or alive.

16. toni

You can buy a skinned, beheaded rattlesnake in the frozen meat dept at Central Market for about $30 per pound.

Philip Nulty likes this.