I need a larger garden...

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by AAnightowl, May 26, 2023.

1. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

I have lots of stuff planted in my veggie garden, but I have a lot more seeds that I did not get planted yet this season.

So, cucumbers and sage do not get along. And sunflowers do not get along with potatoes or beans.

I planted a lot of honeydew melons and watermelon, pumpkins, and one lone cantelope (the plant was a gift) plus my mystery melon. I have not yet planted my cucumbers. I have lots of cucumber seeds. And I still have gobs of pumpkin seeds plus a huge pumpkin sitting on my kitchen table since last fall. It is waiting for room in the freezer so I can bake and puree it. At least all of the melon/pumpkin seeds are up and going. That mystery melon has been putting out large orange flowers daily now. I am trying to upload it to FB so I can save it on my computer and share it here.

I planted sweet peas (the eating kind), and now I am not sure where to plant my scarlet runner beans and bush green beans.

I have bell pepper plants planted, but have seeds to plant bell peppers, and seeds for assorted hot peppers.

I still have flower seeds that need planted, cosmos, delphiniums, marigolds (those can go in the veggie garden).

Plus I was going through my seed collection including the 'empty' packets I had already planted. I found some seeds that got left behind, so those must get planted.

I planted 4 or 5 packets of dill seed, and so far they have not sprouted. At least I still have some leftovers somehow.

My asparagus crowns are growing well, and even my old asparagus plant made it through the cardboard and mulch to smother the weeds around it. It is quite tall and going to seed. However, the 200+ asparagus seeds that I planted have yet to sprout.

Some of my sunflower seeds that I planted here and there are sprouting. Yay. I hope they do well. I planted my extra pea plants by the chicken coop for the chickens. They could climb the chicken wire if they wanted to. The chickens will like fresh peas.

My parsley is coming up. I need to thin/transplant my bok choy seedlings.

I found some assorted flower seeds when sorting my seeds. Bell flowers (they have never grown, but I will try the extras anyway), and my milkweed for the monarch butterflies has not grown. I will plant the extra flowers anyhow. There are some catmint seeds and probably a few others.

I still have a large zipper bag of zinnias, echinacea, black eyed Susans and a few others to plant. I HAVE been popping them in the ground and in pots all over and still have so many left. I HAVE shared them with friends too. I usually have a large paper grocery sack or two when fall comes of the seed heads I collect.

Besides the large veggie garden, I have at least 50+ flower beds to weed and keep up with. A lot of things have lots of babies to move around.

The wild elderberries are putting out flower buds. I need to check on my tame one and see what it is up to.

I think gardening is addicting? There is a FB group called "gardening addicts"....

Logan, Doghouse Riley, Frank and 4 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

mystery squash or melon 2023.jpg

My mystery melon or squash for 2023.

Sjoerd and eileen like this.
  4. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Yes, I agree that gardening is addictive!
    Every winter I tell myself that I am going to shrink my gardens to make them easier to maintain. Then spring comes and I'm making them bigger!

Logan, Pacnorwest, AAnightowl and 2 others like this.
  5. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Young Pine

Gardening is a great addiction.. we grow flowers that brings smiles. We grow trees to clear the air and homes for wildlife. We grow food for ourselves and to share. There is always a few good challenges to work out improve our problem solving skills as well as sharing all we can to build comradely with neighbors and communities.

Logan, AAnightowl and Sjoerd like this.

Advertisement
  6. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

I think I have a hollyhock growing. It is similar to previous hollyhocks, and it is not the blue sea holly that I planted. And the blue sea holly is not up. I planted it according to directions for this zone, on April 2d. Not a sign of it yet.

I planted lots of dill, and none of it is up yet.

Some of my elephant ear bulbs are up at least.

Logan and Pacnorwest like this.
  7. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Young Pine

It usually take 14 -20mdays for seed to herd. If they haven’t by now fingers crossed they will.
    Nice the elephant ears are up. They make quite a statement in any garden.

Logan likes this.
  8. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

Seeds herd? I never heard of that.

I think that one plant is a hollyhock, but it is different than previous hollyhocks. It is not like the foliage in the pictures of the blue sea holly, and not really where I planted that. And the blue sea holly still has not appeared, so I guess it won't.

My dill seeds are finally beginning to sprout, but I am going to plant more dill seeds anyway.

The asparagus seeds are beginning to come up and make cute babies. BHG said not to plant them near onions. And I saw something else that said they were good with onions? I don't remember where I saw that one now, but the onions and garlics are close to my new asparagus plants. And I used to have Egyptian walking onions and garlic with my old asparagus plants and they all did fine together. (Did I mention that my old asparagus is up and going and doing great even after I buried it under cardboard and mulch? It was too big to harvest when I saw it, but maybe next season.)

The peas are doing fine. Lots of things are doing good. Do I need to blanch my peas before freezing them? (out of the shell, these are regular peas). I don't care for canned peas.

Logan and Pacnorwest like this.
  9. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Young Pine

The stylus pen has a crack on the rubber side that is used to type and will not work well or Spell check got herd…should be germinate…

sounds like your garden is really producing well.

AAnightowl and Logan like this.
  10. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

AAnightowl, I freeze peas both the sugar snaps and regular or "English" peas. I don't blanch either type. Just make sure they are clean and shell the regular peas, then freeze. I put the peas on a large rimmed baking sheet to freeze, then put them in a large freezer bag and remove the amount needed for a meal. If you want to freeze smaller amounts, you can put the peas in smaller freezer bags.
    Today is more weeding of the tomatoes. It seems the Celebrities are particularly fond of grass!

AAnightowl, Pacnorwest and Sjoerd like this.
  11. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

AA— like Marlingardener, I just shell and freeze my peas. No blanching.
    All of what I grow, I freeze with a couple of exceptions. Blanching is something that I do with some veggies but not all.

AAnightowl, Logan and Pacnorwest like this.
  12. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

Thanks about how to freeze peas.

Sjoerd and Pacnorwest like this.