I Need Help Choosing Shrubs, Plants... Everything!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Trees, Shrubs and Roses' started by JB, Jun 19, 2008.

1. JB

JB New Seed

I need help choosing shrubs to go along the front of our home.

Across the left side of the front there is virtually full sun. However, across the right side of the front there is partial to full shade most of the time....due to a tree. The existing shrubs (no idea what they are) in the full sun have grown and flourished while the shrubs in the shade have basically gone the way of the Dodo. What shrubs will grow in both full sun or shade....and what companion plants could I place with them?

Thanks!!!!

2. Loading...

3. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

What sort of climate do you have where you live? Are the shrubs in the shade getting enough water or will the tree drink everything? Dogwoods, some hydrangeas and rhododendrons do well in shade, but it all depends on your zone.

4. JB

JB New Seed

Zone 8......and you could be right about the tree taking the water. Thanks a lot!!!

5. Primsong

Primsong Young Pine

I have camellias, dogwood, rhodies, azaleas and oregon grape all growing well in shade under fir trees in zone 7-8. You may want to look up some native plants for your area and see what grows in the natural shaded woods that might look well in your yard.

Advertisement
  6. dagardener

dagardener New Seed

Ever thought of Palm trees

Some palm trees actually do very well in the moist cool temperatures. Something to consider. Such as a windmill palm, the needle palm and blue needle palm can survive frosting.

7. gardengater

gardengater Young Pine

Welcome from coastal NC. We grow Azaleas in partial shade, no rhododendrum, foundation planting like Euphorbia, Ibex, Holly, Juniper, Cypress. Camellia and Hydrangea are good flowering plants, also. we grow palms though I'm not a fan or knowledgable about them. The smaller plants that do well around here are Impatiens, Vinca, Petunia (esp the Wave variety), Daylilies.
    Hope this helps.
    Gardengater