I need helpful tips for growing Rhubarb

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Donna S, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

What is the secret to growing rhubarb? I've tryed 2 years in a row and all died.

moderator's note: split this post into it's own topic

2. Loading...

3. Palustris

Palustris Young Pine

They are bog plants, in the wild. so they need a sunny spot in very rich soil which retains moisture.

4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

As P said, plant it in the full sun...and in a place where you will not be digging or scratching near the rhubarb plant once planted.

Begin soil preparation 3-4 weeks before you actually plant the plant.The worked planting hole will need time to settle. this means the micro-organism layers will have to reform and become established.
    Dig a hole ~2feet deep, or deeper.

Refill the hole and work-in a generous amount of organic matter.
    **Be aware that what you put in will have to last the rhubarb plant for the plant's life.
    Rhubarb will typically not tolerate soil disturbance near it.

When to plant? Ideally, the beginning of winter, or late fall.

Planting-- Dig a hole in the refilled hole that you made that is a bit wider than the plant root. plant the root so that it is about 1 inch below the soil surface.
    Fill soil in around the root and gently tamp it down . You do not want any air pockets. Give water if it is dry at the time of planting.
    Mulch around the newly-planted plant (but not directly over where the ne3w plant shoots will break through the soil).

Further care-- You do not have to do much at all, but if you do a modicum of care the plants can perform better for you.
    When the leaves have died, spread a new layer of compost around the bade, taking care not to get this on the plant stalk.
    Give a bit of water during summer dry spells.
    sprinkle some fertilizer around the base in late january or february. Hand pick weeds as they appear.
    Cut the flower head off as soon as it appears. If left to flower, the plant may never recover fully from this great waste of internal plant energy.

Harvesting-- Please do not harvest ant leaves during the first season. It will seriously weaken your plant. Just let the plant grow and establish itself, developing a good root system. Remember that I have said before that the root ball is of the greatest importance. It determines so much in terms of how your plant will fare and produce.
    Second year, take only a few leaves, For instance not more than say, two per harvesting. The focus the second year is to preserve the integrity of the plant. After the first two years, you and your plant ought to be ready for a normal relationship (in terms of harvesting).

When to comes to "forcing" and other techniques...I think that it is best to wait and see how your coming effort pans-out before you go and get all fancy in your techniques.

Here's wishing you great success.

Frank likes this.
  5. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

Thank you Palustris and Sjoerd. Think I will give it one more try this year.

Advertisement
  6. Coppice

Coppice In Flower

At best you are on the southern frontier for this buckwheat family plant.

Many southern growers, grow rhubarb as an annual. I'd google rhubarbs southern needs.

7. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Well, S after that super post mine will most likely die from abuse. I don't do nearly that much to mine and it still grows, but probably not this year. :eek:

8. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

To be perfectly honest I do nothing with my rhubarb and it crops really well for me year after year. I generally get three to four lots from it for crumbles and pies which is perfect for us. I do have the advantage of having great soil and it is in a well sheletered but sunny spot.

9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Carolyn and Eileen. :-D Yeah, I know what you mean. I did not do a lot when I had Rhubarb either....but this lady had had two unsuccessful attempts and wants to try something different, so I thought I thought that I would give her my guiding routine.
    It was difficult to ascertain what she was doing that was the cause for her lack of success. My reasoning is if one follows the procedure (more or less) by the book then she has done all that she can do to have success, know what I mean?

If I had to plant every plant according to Hoyle, I'd be spending even MORE time in the lottie than I already do. hahaha. I just hope that Donna can have some success.

Donna S likes this.