I need something better than gloves!

Discussion in 'Gardening Other' started by Sue Anderson, Apr 24, 2009.

1. Sue Anderson

Sue Anderson New Seed

Can anyone direct me to some sort of product that I can wear on my hands instead of gloves while i'm gardening? I hate wearing gloves, but my skin breaks out if I use my bare hands. Any help would be greatly appreciated?

2. Loading...

3. EJ

EJ Allotmenteer Extraordinaire

A barrier cream is all I can suggest. I wouldn't be able to suggest a brand, I would think petroleum jelly might make your hands way to slippery to work and all the compost and dirt would stick to it. Have you tried the thin latex gloves, the sort that doctors use? I have to say, I hate wearing gloves and don't when I am working on my allotment, and I have the rough, ugly mishapen hands to prove it.

4. Pricklypear

Pricklypear Seedling

gloves

I wear the cheap cotton gloves from the dollar store.
    They allow me more dexterity than heavier garden gloves. My hands don't break out but they get so dry from playing in dirt that they become cracked sore.

I use Intensive Moisture Therapy hand cream. Put it on before and after gardening. But, I doubt there's anything to it that would keep you from breaking out if you have allergies to something in your soil or the tomato plants perhaps.

5. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

I never really wore gloves that often except for really icky or prickly jobs BUT have begun to wear them now because my hands started getting so sore lately (bummer)... The ones I like best (and I have tried a bunch!) are knitted cotton with some sort of rubber stuff on the palm and fingers. I like them because they are very lightweight and flexible and help me get a better grip on things. They don't get stiff when they get wet and then dry.

Advertisement
  6. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

I have been using white cotton ones with black plastic? dots on the palms. Well, they were white when I bought them. I use them when I'm digging or hoeing or raking. Generally when I'm potting or planting I don't wear any gloves. Maybe that's why my fingernails are all cracked and scraggly. dooley

7. MDavidson

MDavidson New Seed

Hi Sue,

Avon has a lotion called Silicone Glove. I can't stand to wear gloves either. When I'm pulling weeds I use gloves but other than I just use this moisturizer. My nails look awful during the summer, but oh well :)