I should have asked for 2 inches

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by toni, May 30, 2012.

1. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

We have been having rain this morning. First rain to fall on my garden since April 8th. The National Weather Service says that any rain under 1/10th inch (.10) is called a Trace and over that it can be measured and is an official rain fall. Early this morning my rain gauge held .185 (1/8th) of an inch which means that the 7 week dry spell was ended by a cloud spitting on my garden :eek:

Another wave of rain rolled through and brought the total up to almost 1/2 inch. Then a really nice heavy wave of rain just rolled through and lasted a bit longer. I took my cuppa tea out front to enjoy the rain and the cooler breezes and asked Mother Nature to please let the rain continue until the floater in my rain gauge was above the 1 inch mark, meaning my garden would have received a full one inch of rain. It started getting lighter and lighter and even though the rain was just a drizzle it continued to fall and when it stopped the floater was just above the 1 inch mark and my request had been fulfilled.

Man, I really should have asked for 2 inches. :rolleyes:

2. Loading...

3. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

We need rain so bad.My plants are really needing rain.I have watered them but the mosquitos are so bad in my yard late evening.

4. Capt Kirk

Capt Kirk Thank a Veteran today!

It's been about 3 weeks since we had any rain. And with the hot temps, it's just sucked the moisture out of the ground. They kept talking about the rain we were going to get on Tue. I didn't even get enough to float the dead leaf in the rain guage. Now they say rain on Thurs. evening and all day Fri. We will see what that pans out to be.

5. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

There's a possibility of rain this evening and tomorrow. I must get the dust out of the rain gauge before the rain comes . . . .
    Toni, I'm glad you got rain, and maybe that second inch will come tomorrow!

Advertisement
  6. toni

I think Mother Nature decided to stick her tongue out at me for wanting a little more rain....we had about 10 minutes of marble sized hail. Just enough to have us grabbing blankets to cover the hood and roof of the truck...then the sun came out and the heat has returned. Can you say Swedish Sauna? :rolleyes:

7. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Not much rain here either, except a wave that passed through a week ago and left us with a nice 1/2 soaker. My brother lives about 1/2 hour away and he said their garden was washed out. They had 4 inches that same night. yesterday it thundered and lightninged all around us twice, but we didn't get any of it. The next road over was poured on and a customer today told me his nephew had enough hail to turn the ground white and that was about 4 miles north of us. We sure could use some too.

Jane, I read your post so fast :rolleyes: I thought you were getting the dust gauge out. Silly me.

8. toni

Don't laugh, she'll be getting that out in August. ;)

9. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

DonM told me he had 7 or 8 inches of rain in PA :eek: That just boggles my mind!!

Don't you wish, with all the technology we have today that someone could go up there and push the rainclouds to where we need it the most???

10. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Still no rain here either ... it seemed to have rained at least a bit in the surrounding towns. Friday weatherman says rain ... 35mm. That should help :)

11. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

If anybody knows a trick that works, I'll go outside and dance whatever kind of dance I need to dance in order to send our rain clouds westwards. We've had a lovely, dry spell with rather good temps (for us) and now the forecast promise us rain for the next few days. Not only one inch, but two and three of them per day some days. :( It just isn't fair!

12. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Good thing I dumped the dust out of our rain gauge--we have 3/4" of rain so far, with no hail, a bit of thunder and just enough lightning to make it interesting!