I want to build a picnic table. Need some help.

Discussion in 'Home Improvement, DIY and Repair' started by AmyL, Mar 30, 2007.

1. AmyL

AmyL New Seed

I'd love to build a picnic table from scratch, but I'm not sure how hard it will be, or if I would save enough money to make it worth my time. I enjoy wood working, but DH doesn't, and I'd need his help.

What wood is best? Hate the idea of using treated lumber when it's something you're going to be eating on, but don't want it to rot. Redwood would be nice, but pricey. That leaves pine. The table will sit on a concrete patio, so unless it rains, it won't be sitting in water or wet ground.

Also, is it better to paint or stain? The table would be stored inside for winter.

I have a compound miter saw, router, and cordless and corded drills, so equipment wise, I'm good. I haven't picked out a specific plan, but I know there's oodles available on the net.

I would want it to be eight feet and have benches separate from the table.

Any thoughts or comments would be welcome.

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/ww_materi ... 38,00.html
    http://www.instantplans.com/picnic-plans.html

You might check out some of these plans, price the materials required and take into consideration the time spent. Then look around for ready made, easy to assemble kit form picnic tables at HomeDepot, Lowes or lumberyards and compare those prices to material prices.

I think stain would be better since paint might eventually flake off and have to be repainted. Also, you will want to use a good sealer on it like Thompsons. Paint or stain will not keep it from being damaged by rain or the sprinkler when you water the yard.

Good Luck whichever way you go. And we do want pictures, especially if you DIY

4. bethie

bethie Young Pine

I priced this myself several years ago. Here the outdoor lumber of choice is cypress. It really WAS cheaper to just buy a ready made one at a discount place. The new latex stains are great though. They look like paint and hold up for years. 8)

5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I agree with Bethie it's so much easier to buy ready made. However, if you can get hold of materials cheaply enough then the satisfaction you'll get from making your own will be well worth the effort.

6. house21

house21 New Seed

Hi
    If I was you I would go for a romanian table. You just have to get the right material and screws.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2015