I will not . . .

Discussion in 'Recipes and Cooking' started by marlingardener, Apr 16, 2022.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

I will not eat from a styrofoam container, nor drink from a styrofoam cup. The first just makes any food look unattractive, and the second has such an unpleasant feel to my lips.
    I will not eat a cinnamon/raisin/something else bagel. Bagels are wonderful, plain, lightly toasted, and with a schmear of cream cheese. A good thing shouldn't be "enhanced", especially with chocolate chips.
    I will not share the food on my plate with a fellow diner. My husband's niece always has her fork at the ready to spear something from someone else's plate (Oh, give me a taste of that!).

What will you not do?

2. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Young Pine

I dislike the way some people are prepared to eat at a BBQ in their own garden.
    I like a "proper" plate and cutlery on a table and a chair. It doesn't have to be indoors.

Zigs and Logan like this.
  3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I will not buy or eat the Hot Cross buns that are on sale here for Easter. They are selling them with strawberry and cream fillings!! Sorry but why do they have to change something that's been around for years and that everyone enjoys - traditional and unadulterated?

Zigs, Logan and marlingardener like this.
  4. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

I will not have syrup or sweet with my eggs. Hubby as well as kids, will have pancakes, sausage or bacon and an egg on top, covered in :eek:syrup. ( and sometimes ketchupo_O) My adult kids live in cities now and tell me they love the "McGriddle" as a treat....syrupy muffin with egg and bacon or sausage. :confused::confused: They definitely didn't get that one from me.

Advertisement
  5. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

There was a period when I made multiple trips to China. When eating with groups, at restaurants, the food was served on platters on a large lazy Susan on a large round table. Diners spun it around, grabbing at whatever food they wanted with their chopsticks. So in a sense, everyone was eating from everyone else's plates. That was a reason I didn't like going there (and road safety, which was frightening. And sanitation. But there were good things too.). I learned I have to adapt, but it isn't always easy.

My mom, who never said a mean word in her life, would tell people if the they tried to steal one more french fry, they would pull back a bloody stump where their hand used to be.

For some people (like in China), shared food is a kind of friendship or intimacy. Here, I think stealing food off others' plates is sort of bullying them.

As for food in styrofoam, I always wonder what toxic substances the hot plastic is leaching into the food.

For me as a vegetarian, I grew tired of all of the social awkwardness of eating out, people lecturing me or trying to debate when all I wanted was a tasty meal without meat, and menus with no options that I could eat (although sone fast food places used to let me order a cheeseburger, without the burger). I sort of gave up eating out with other people for that reason.

Droopy, Melody Mc., Zigs and 3 others like this.
  6. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Melody, I admit I'm an "egg foodie" since we have our own hens. Anyone trying to put ketchup or syrup on one of our ladies' eggs will be banned from our table!
    Daniel, I've been questioned about my food choices at restaurants, not only by other diners, but by wait staff! "This is a steak house and you want a kebob?" Well, yes, that's what I'm ordering, and if you don't like it, tough (like your steaks!)

Melody Mc., Zigs, Logan and 2 others like this.
  7. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

@marlingardener our backyard chickens have the run of the yard. They get fed extra dandelion blossoms. The yolks are orange! Heaven = potato salad made from fresh home grown Red Norland potatoes, using home grown onions, sweet relish from home grown cukes, eggs from those pampered hens, and mayo made from those eggs too!

If I have the energy, I want to grow a bed of marigolds this year to feed those blossoms to the hens too.

8. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I have a few peeves besides people taking food from my plate. Ketchup on eggs, or at breakfast at all. Also diners that cover their food in salt before even tasting it.
    I will not eat anything with raisins, except oatmeal raison cookies.
    I do not eat cilantro - I'm one of those people that taste soap. Doesn't stop me from growing a bit each year :chuckle:

Melody Mc., Zigs, Logan and 1 other person like this.
  9. Zigs

Zigs Young Pine

I won't eat plain chocolate or cucumber, even if it is in the same sandwich :D

Styrofoam cups are good for protecting the tips of columnar cacti from frost :)

Melody Mc., marlingardener and eileen like this.
  10. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

@marlingardener - the feel of styrofoam on my cuttlery gives me the same shivers as nails on a chalkboard....can't stand it. I used to have my own hens, but started to have too many asthma issues caring for them and cleaning the coop. Now my neighbour ( 8 km away on the way to town) has hens. I give any garden left overs and weeds to her free range girls when I get eggs.

@Zigs - my middle daughter is the same with cucumber....a big nope for her. But she does like pickles. ;) Good idea on the frost protection.

@Daniel W - I hear you on the restaurants. It is always an issue for myself and my son, so I don't eat out. I hate having to explain myself. My oldest is vegitarian and uses a lot of vegan recipes. My middle has dietary issues and my son allergies - not many of us eat out. Myself, maybe once a year if that, and that was pre Covid.

Zigs likes this.
  11. Zigs

Zigs Young Pine

Tis the devil's vegetable :D

I don't mind pickled gerkins :)

12. mart

mart Strong Ash

Anyone that even looks at my plate with fork in hand would be short a few fingers very quickly !

marlingardener and eileen like this.
  13. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

McDonalds. BurgerKing. Etc. Their wrappers have PFAS & they're not intending to rectify it anytime soon.

eileen and Sjoerd like this.
  14. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Good heavens, I had to look up PFAS and was horrified. It is the devil's offspring of Teflon, and is found in so many products.
    We don't eat at any fast food chain, and now we have another reason to avoid them (other than poor and greasy food.)
    I admit I am an avid label reader, which started when my husband was diagnosed with diabetes. While trying to find the sugar content on labels, I was amazed at the chemical compounds and non-food ingredients in so many products. Our gardens, hens, and home-cooking is keeping us alive (although I have to say I occasionally crave a good chocolate bar!).

eileen and Sjoerd like this.