Ice Dancing World Championships 2021 Stockholm

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Doghouse Riley, Mar 27, 2021.

1. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Young Pine

I usually record this each year and watch some, as I find it relaxing.

This young lady was first in the short programme with this routine.

She was the clear winner in the final with 233 points, despite a fall with her first jump, I think she was attempting a "quad."
    With this.

2nd had 220, 3rd 217.

She'll be seventeen on Sunday.

She's Russian, but spoke perfect English in an interview.

I remember Robin Cousins saying a few years ago, that the juniors are now doing what he and his fellow skaters could do back then and now the seniors routines would back then have been considered, "science fiction."

Much as I liked Torvil and Dean's Bolero, it now looks a bit pedestrian compared to today's routines.

The pairs winners. The syncronicity is astounding,

Sjoerd likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

We used to follow this sport when we were working in the states. I suppose that it was because there was a great deal of coverage. It is great that you mentioned this graceful and impressive sport again. There was only a short mention of it on the news yesterday, and then primarily in relation to our participants. A shame, really.
    Thanks for the postings.

4. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Skating has come a long way and its amazing what these young skaters are able to do. It wasn't that long ago the first quad jump was landed (1988 by Canadian Kurt Browning)
    We follow skating as my daughter is a skater, although not of this caliber (yet!)
    An acquaintance of ours skated in this Championship, finishing 13th overall. And our Canadian pairs team is bringing home a bronze medal!
    They all did amazing and kudos to all of them as training has been a nightmare for the last year due to Covid shutdowns.

Doghouse Riley and Sjoerd like this.