If only trees could also talk...

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by S-H, Mar 26, 2013.

1. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

I recently visited the Beach Luxury Hotel in my city of Karachi. Today this hotel may seem somewhat rundown, a bit neglected too at fist glance (compared to the Marriott, the Carlton, the Sheraton, and a few others).

But this was the first 5 star hotel built in Karachi after Pakistan became an independent nation in 1947. So there is a phenomenal amount of history associated with this hotel, it's main building, as well as it's gardens and it's floating restaurant that extends into the creek...

In the gardens, I noticed that many coconut trees over there were now teller then a 100 feet! A few of them even reminded of the "Big W" in the film *It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World!* :D

The gardens and the trees are really very well kept. And this is because the owner of the hotel, Mr. Byram Avari, is a die-hard horticulturist at heart, (aside from being an international gold medalist of sailing in his youth)...

So I just wondered, that if all these trees could talk. Then what would they have to say? What kind of stories would each tree have to tell?

On my return, I Googled up for old pictures of these gardens (just so I could see how much each tree had grown in the last 60+ years).

However I found this funny video on YouTube:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qttvmGI92Jo

It's a song from an old Pakistani movie, shot mostly in the gardens of the Beach Luxury Hotel! Story of the movie is that of a village idiot, who comes to Karachi in search of wealth - And ends up hitting the jackpot! And not only that, but also finds love. While certain evil people try to take advantage of his good nature, and steal his newly found wealth...

Anyway, in this video I can see each tree that today has grown to be over a 100 feet! Yet this is all that I can see (captured on film, and uploaded by someone) - I still don't know what each tree will have to say, if they could all talk and tell their own story...

[​IMG]
    Beach Luxury Hotel 1 ( photo / image / picture from S-H's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Beach Luxury Hotel 2 ( photo / image / picture from S-H's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Me seeing what's cooking (at the Beach Luxury Hotel). ( photo / image / picture from S-H's Garden )

Frank and Philip Nulty like this.
  2. Loading...

3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Interesting thoughts on if they could talk. I am sure there are many things we would be surprised by. The photo reflects that it still is well taken care of. The yards are very nice. So, just what was there to eat?

4. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Very pretty palm trees. I'm partial to palm trees but won't even attempt to grow one up here. :D

5. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

Droopy, they are not palm trees, but are real local coconut trees. And yes, all their fruit gets used up in the Hotel, as they make all types of exotic beverages from them! :D

Carolyn, they were cocking fish at that buffet. White Pomfret to be exact (caught by local fishermen). :D

Karachi may be a city of over 20 million now, but about 150 yeas ago, it was just a fishing village with a few 1000 inhabitants. However the tradition of seafood still continues to this day! And the Beach Luxury Hotel is know for it's seafood! :D

[​IMG]
    Beach Luxury Hotel 3 ( photo / image / picture from S-H's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Beach Luxury Hotel 4 ( photo / image / picture from S-H's Garden )

Advertisement
  6. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Amazing that you found a video clip that old with the hotel and trees. It is interesting to see changes documented by something most people would not give a second look. A shrewd and entertaining observation.

Jerry

7. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

yes Jerry, you are right (regarding my shrewd observational skills)! :setf_052:
    However, I was wondering, exactly what all these trees will have to say, if they could each tell us their story... I am sure that they first will say how lucky they all are - For being personally take care of by non other then the hotel owner himself (as well as his family)! :D

[​IMG]
    View of Karachi harbor (from Beach Luxury Hotel) ( photo / image / picture from S-H's Garden )