I'm Back! ... about a week or so ago

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by KK Ng, Sep 21, 2017.

1. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

I am so happy to be home, there is no place like home sweet home. What was a 10 days to 2 weeks trip turn out to be a boring and very frustrating thing.

In the beginning it was fun having to find new places to get groceries, fish and meat. Setting up the kitchen so that we can feed ourselves.

The next day on our arrival the contractor was on schedule to deliver the materials for the job but it was the wrong material not as specified. We wanted planking and not plywood for the flooring so we rejected it. We thought it was an honest mistake and it took another 3 days for the right materials to arrive, Plywood is much cheaper than flooring timber.
    20170822_125350.jpg The timber on the right are the beams and those on the left are the planking.

Work only started the day after the correct materials arrived and 4 days is already wasted doing nothing, just waiting. They only start work at 9:30 ~ 10:00 am and finish off at 5:00pm and observed every public holiday. Back home the contractors start at 8:00am sharp and finish off at 5:00pm and is work as usual on public holiday unless it is a major public holiday.
    Anyway they work for a day and was off the next because it was a Sunday.

This was what is done on the first day.
    20170822_125256.jpg

20170823_072411.jpg
    It was really difficult to get upstairs with all those barriers and we had to do cleaning every evening after they are gone. We kind of a look forward to the cleaning which is like the highlight of the day and something to do.

20170822_125319.jpg Dirt of the day.
    20170821_112922.jpg Barrier to keep the dirt out from our safe haven aka the kitchen.

Comes Monday when they came to work I told the person in charge that I am not happy with the way the wood was pre-planed because there are large portion of it was not properly planed. He said no problem and started using his grinder and try to smoothen it. I told him that he should use a belt or orbital sander for a good finish, moreover a grinder is not for wood. He told me he knows what he is doing and mind my own business. #@^& that is my business to make sure the job is properly done. Called the contractor who agreed with his sub-contracter and only after damaging the first beam was he convinced to get a sander. How people can be so moronic.

The next day was smooth sailing and the beams were up.
    20170824_072722.jpg
    Even with a sander they can't do a decent job, look at the second beam on the left ... grrr
    Instead of doing lap joint they use metal braces, first beam left corner. I did not inspect it while they were assembling it. When I spoke to them they seemed to "know" and when the contractor came he agreed that it should be a lap joint.

The next day we waited and waited and nobody turn up. At 10:00pm we called the contractor and he was awakened by our call. 10:00am and still in bed? He said that his sub-contractor is not well so no work. Why do we have to find out by ourselves ...grrRRR!!!

The next day they came to work and I casually ask the sub-contractor what happened yesterday and he said he went to do another job ... what the %$@#. The contractor had confirmed that maximum that they will take is 10 days including weekend. By now it is already the 10th day and it was not even 50% done. I was angry, VERY ANGRY. I asked about the braces and he said that is the way is done. I was so ...... couldn't describe it ... too intense ... I decided to stay away. If that was the contractor I hired I would have SACK them from the beginning. I guess the plywood thing was done on purpose.

OK have to go now will continue when I can. :)

2. Loading...

3. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

KK,..oh boy are you glad to be home,..some ordeal watching people doing it wrong even after you tell them so,..i know its not at all funny but on reading your post i was thinking,..poor KK that will put him off his food,..i did spot your remark,..barrier to keep dirt out from our safe haven,..aka the kitchen :)

4. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Hehe!!! Food is always glorious ... yum!!! :)

Philip Nulty and 2ofus like this.
  5. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

The ordeal continue .....

Anyway I did not want to let these people laziness, laid back attitude and arrogance get to me I refused to watch what the hell they were doing. They know I am not the one that is paying them so I guess they did not bother about my comments.
    20170827_072805.jpg

And so the floor board is up but it was short of a couple of pieces. The contractor said he'll get his supplier to sent it the next day and as usual nothing happened. This was a long weekend here with 2 public holidays and an additional for no good reason holiday declared by the national government making it a 5 days weekend.

Anyway out of curiosity I took a peep of how is done and I regretted doing so. It got my blood pressure up ... the nails were all exposed, the joints were all in the wrong place and very poorly done with gaps up to a cm. The only good part is the view from the bottom.

My son came for the long weekend and made our stay better. I asked my son how much had he paid this contractor and was told that he had already paid out two thirds of the total. I told him that should the contractor ask for more payment please do not pay him until the whole job is done. Deductions must be made for the areas where is not done up to normal standard and for job not done like rubbish disposal, repair to damaged part of the building caused by them.

The weekend passed and the planking came in the afternoon and it was a different kind of wood. A complaint was made and he said he'll get it replaced the next day. The next day came and by late noon nothing came so I made a decision to make use of the planking even though it is different.
    20170827_072909.jpg

On the top right corner the 3 pieces of planking is of lighter colour from a less dense species of tree so it is softer.

Another day passed and the so called contractor came and told me he had found the same type of planking yesterday morning ... grrr ... why tell me now, why did he not get it ... guess he must be lying thru his teeth. Then he ask for a favour to tell my son to release the remaining 80% of the money. I just say OK. My son already told me about that and had told him that he'll get his money when it is done.

Another day passed and the badly designed stairs going up to the loft was installed. We were not happy about it because each rise is more than 18 inches or 45 cm in height which should be around 7 inches or 17cm. This is totally unacceptable because it is dangerous. Got the so called contractor to come and he said the staircase is ok and safe. I told him if it is so why not he go up and come down to see how it is. On his way down he had difficulties and tripped nearly falling flat on his face. A battle won ... YES!!!
    Gave him the specification of the staircase and told him I do not want anything less than that. Then he promised he'll get it done ASAP and asked whether I told my son about the payment yet. I said OK I'll remind him. It took about a week for the new staircase to be up.

Another day passed and the electrician came to install some power points for the loft. At first they proposed to tap the power from existing power point and I said no, the power must come from the control box with new circuit breaker added in for these new power outlet. After a brief discussion I left them to do their work. After a couple of hours with no hacking sound I decided to check on them and I was shocked to find that they had run exposed wiring instead of conceal. I ask why is he doing exposed when we already agreed on conceal. He said that exposed is easier for him to do and why am I so fussy. I was shocked!!! Looked at him and said "If you cannot do as I want then the door is that way." He is not a young guy he is already in his late 50s and his son is his helper. I said no more and went back to my safe haven. After awhile the sweet sound of wall hacking started.

Finally the case of the staircase hand rail maker. He came and take the measurement of the staircase when the staircase was up. I asked him how many days he need to get it done and he said 3 days which I agreed to it. The paint on the staircase need to set and 3 days is about right. 3 days passed and by 11:00am still no sign of that guy we called and was told he was on his way. Only at 1 pm did he arrived with his crew. He came with only the metal profiles and fabricate the railing on site. The normal practice is to fabricate the parts in the workshop and fix it at site. Seeing the situation I had no choice so I walked up to him and very seriously told him I want everything be done today, I do not care how long it is going to take and I do not want to know why he was so late.

Finally everything was done by 9:00pm and I told my wife I want to go home, so we packed up and left. We arrived home at about 5:00am ... what a relief to be home.

In conclusion I am very surprised to learn that the males up north are so laid back and unreliable. At first I thought it was just the first group of people but then the electrician and the fabricators, they are all the same. We are just about 600km apart or is it they are just from the village? Taking everything the easy way out.

Advertisement
  6. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    My experience with contractors has been varied. We've learned to find ones with referrals from professional friends, but even that isn't always been the best choice. Had one guy electrocute himself (he was too embarrassed to say anything and took the next two days off), a subcontractor put the skylight in backwards and innumerable other crazies over the years work on our home. I felt your pain as I read your post. Good contractors are worth their weight in gold.

7. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

KK, your son is so fortunate to have had you on site. Your knowledge and persistence saved him money and frustration, not to mention living with sub-standard work for years! Good for you, and I'm glad you are home. You are one awesome man!
    We have found that without constant supervision, instructions, and a little therapeutic shouting, workmen will do what they want when they want. I threatened to take a ladder away from a roofer, stranding him on our roof, because he was going to "knock off" (leave) at 3 p.m. An electrician lost his license because he didn't live up to a signed contract, nor did he use the proper wiring.
    Luckily, here on the farm we have found a plumber, electrician, and tree trimmer that are reliable, reasonably priced, and that we can trust. We do everything else.

8. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Wish we had either of you around for a few of our projects. :like:

9. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

KK its very hard to get a reliable contractor,..even then his workers may not be up to scratch,..shaking my head here after reading your experience with both Contractor and workers,..i stood watching a painter at my front door painting the wood shelter with a water based paint,..over an oil based gloss,..i had to ask what was in the tin,..oh its a water based paint,..no other reaction,..i had to stop him going further with the paint as it would just peel off the oil based gloss:rolleyes::whistling:

KK Ng likes this.
  10. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Thank you all for the kind and comforting words. I'm so glad it is all over and is very happy to be playing in my garden again. :stew1::stew2::)

Philip Nulty likes this.
  11. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Oh boy, I really hope this thread is helping you to let off steam KK as it's simmering my blood just reading it o_O

Philip Nulty and Cayuga Morning like this.
  12. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I agree Frank. Horrendous experience with shoddy workmanship. KK, your son is indeed fortunate that you were available to oversee work. Kudos to you!

Philip Nulty likes this.
  13. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Thanks Frank it sure did. :)

Thank you Cayuga Morning :)

Philip Nulty and Frank like this.
  14. mart

mart Strong Ash

Sorry KK you had to deal with all the stupidity. I am lucky that I have all the contractors I need in my family. Well,, except a plumber but I have that one here in town that I have used before and like very well.
    My family has no choice but to do what I want,,after all I am feeding them. No work,, no lunch ! :)

Philip Nulty likes this.
  15. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Wow!!! That's great, wish I have a team like yours :)

16. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I am just shaking my head. these issues are ridiculous. so sorry it has been such an ordeal. good for you to not back down. do you not have inspectors from the local government to make sure people do their work to at least a minimum standard?