I'm getting the growing itch

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Shawchert, Jan 13, 2015.

1. Shawchert

Shawchert In Flower

I have started buying starters, and soil already! I'm looking through books to refresh and planning out my garden and where I want things to be before I plant! It's only january and I want to get back into my garden!!!

Who else is with me, who has the garden fever? I'm sure every one of us does, except for some of you southerners whose soil doesn't freeze ;).

Frank and Kay like this.
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. eileen
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Kildale
      Replies:
      Views:

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I've had the fever since winter struck!! I hate not being able to get out into the garden. Roll on spring!!

4. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I'm getting the growing itch too! I can't wait to eat fresh produce from my own garden again!

5. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

I'm counting the days when I can turn the heat on in GH. I always tell myself March 1st. but the itch takes over.

Advertisement
  6. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

My itch is soon to be scratched! The shelving, lights, and trays come in from the barn this weekend and I'll set up my starting area in the guest bedroom.
    The seeds I ordered from Pinetree have arrived and I'm sorting through to see which get started first. I may have overdone it on the tomatoes . . . .

7. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

My itch will also be scratched this weekend. Time to set up the seed starting area!

8. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Yup. Christmas is over. Now I am ready for Spring. :D

9. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Every party has a pooper that's why you invited me, party pooper, party pooper. ;)

I want to thoroughly enjoy Winter while we have it. It doesn't happen very often or for very long.

I am not going to start seeds indoors this year, my two small greenhouses in the back room are filled with plants that I wanted to protect this winter so there is no room anyway. I do have 6 species of Milkweed for the Butterfly garden to get started on their stratification process so they can be planted in late March but that won't begin until February.

10. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Toni, you are welcome to come over and get your 'hit' of winter. It is sunny today and has reached our high of -23°C (-9°F). :rolleyes: I think you may appreciate spring just a little more after that visit ;)

11. DMJ24

DMJ24 Seedling

I am SOOOOO with you.
    Every year at this time i fill up a a small storage bin with potting soil ( so the soil doesnt get all over the place)
    Fill a couple of pots and plant some seeds. ANYTHING that will grow. Sometimes it lasts to plant outside, sometimes not. But i love the feeling/ smell of the soil. Gives me pleasure knowing spring WILL come.
    And, a cucumbet vine growing in the window is kinda cool to look at!

12. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

For all of you with the itch--I have eight 9-cell starter blocks filled with various tomato seed varieties. I spent Sunday (yesterday) afternoon planting, and oh-my-gosh if I get one seed per block to germinate, that means 72 tomato plants! I overdid it, again. :oops:
    Now I'm looking at my herb seeds and deciding when to start what.
    If this is insanity, I'm sure enjoying it! :D

Frank likes this.
  13. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

I join the group...can't wait to get outdoors but it might not be until April or May...sometimes we can't plant until June. It all depends on Mother Nature. I don't start seeds indoors, but I did just order some plants that I like...and I am wondering if I should order the Hot Lips salvia that I like because my regular nursery isn't carrying them this year....I hate to have the hummingbirds looking for it where I have had it for years.

14. mart

mart Strong Ash

Quite a bit of rain in my area but in between downpours got the soil turned over in both gardens. This 70 degree weather is making me want to dig in the dirt.
    MG that's about the same number of tomatoes I plant every year. But I buy the started plants since they are cheap here.
    Going to try to get some brussel sprouts out early this year weather permitting and we don`t freeze up.

15. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Mart, in addition to the tomatoes we start, I buy a couple of dozen Celebrities already started.
    Either I cut back, or we get a bigger guest bedroom for the shelves of seedlings!
    Think my husband needs to make plans to expand the guest bedroom . . . .

16. gardenelf

gardenelf In Flower

Yup, me too, as far as I'm concerned, winter can't be over quick enough!
    Hopefully within the next 6 months I'll be moving to my mother's house, which is now empty. Her dementia finally got so bad that she could no longer be cared for at home, and she is now in a nursinghome. The house & garden have been neglected for years, since she would not allow anyone to clean or tidy up anything most of the time.
    The garden shouldn't be my priority, I know, but like all of you: whenever I think of it or look at it, the itch gets quite unbearable. If I'm really honest with myself, planning what to sow & where is extremely difficult right now, with all the work that needs to be done inside the house.
    Maybe I should just stick to planning what to do with all my potted plants instead. Thank goodness all my most treasured plants are in pots and can be moved quite easily.
    Looks like I'll have to stick to imaginary sowing this year. As for the real thing: there's always next year! :-D :stew1: